update-Crazy Bunny! Gender confused?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

macksmom98

Reaction score
We had a litter on July 4th 2016, 5 Holland Lop babies. We still have one. She was always the most active, even when just little. As she got older, she turned spastic! So I figured it was time to breed her. Did that 35 days ago, no kits. I put her back in with the Buck today, and she first sprayed me then proceeded to mount and rub on him enough to fall off! I have have checked her many times and always thought female, but this of course is most definitely male behavior! So I check again, which always makes both of us oh so happy, and still looks girl! Looked AND felt for testicles and nothing. At 6 months, shouldn't they have dropped already, or at least offer a lump or something? IDK. It's not friendly and I am thinking dog food because I just don't even think I could sell something like that, not knowing for sure and then with its personality.....

Angry Transgender bunny? lol maybe she's confused? I bred my Silver fox doe (the one who lost her first 9) to my lion head mutt, and she got on him and went to town until she fell off, not five minutes later and she's got her bum so far up he can't barely reach.. It was like she wanted to take turns!! I had to pull her out after the first fall-off because she wanted to mount him again!

I was so worried they would really start fighting when I saw him/her do that! I pulled her out right away and didn't given her any more chances. If she is a female, my experience has been that a couple of litters and some time really makes them more mellow. What about the spraying? Ever had girls do that to be territorial? She shot it right at me! Maybe she should the alpha female.....oye

Put them back together and he fell off twice. I guess she watched it and experienced it once so she knew what it should look like! Never in my life....

She could have turned dominant and emotional after reaching maturity. They do that sometimes. One of my does always humps the buck when I breed her, so I have to constantly watch her and move her so she doesn't. If I left her that's all she would do. If I just stop her she gets bred fine. Another doe became very hard to handle after maturity. If your doe was a male the testicles should have dropped. She might just be really hormonal.

The spraying I'm not sure about, but I think I might have heard of females doing that somewhere, I just can't remember where.

I have females that like to hump the males all the time, but I have never had one look like they finished! She made a grunt and scrunched up then fell off just like my boys! So weird....she willingly bred 2 times after that, so I will give her 30 days....or so, lol:)

Right? I think so. The first time she was bred was a table style breeding, and to a buck who has always produced. So when she didnt kindle after that, I was curious, and then yesterday happenend. I guess I should not be surprised at anything, they are rabbits! But this one is acting psycho. So if she is pregnant she will either be a great mom (like her own is) or throw a fit an not know what to do. I cant sell her as a pet with her personality, but if she is a good mom that could prove valueable enough to wait out her teenage phase and see if it is truly just a phase......I will report back for sure!

Some overly eager does do that. No worries, throw her back in and hold her down if need be. She may squeel on first contact though, surprise and no real harm done.

I currently have three very hateful does who have been showing some attitude due to the fact they want to be bred. But there I am having to watch them and hold them down so they don't mount my bucks. Is it ok for them to be so aggressive about trying to hump? Like these girls are REALLY pushy! I would love to know if your doe took though, and if she calms down after a litter..

I threw her back in that same day, and she was pretty rowdy still! She just kept running circles, trying to woo him with her quick scamper I guess, lol:) Eventually I held her down at the neck, not hard, but just enough for her to slow down and he mounted her. I let go to see if she really wanted to get away or if she would allow it, and she lifted pretty quickly. Then I put them up and tried it again a few hours later, and she did it again on her own. We are just watching and waiting now, about 28 or so more days to go! I will let you know Buttons. I am horrible at palpating, and shes a nervous wreck so I dont know if that would cause her to be more likely to absorb the fetuses, but we will know eventually, not soon enough!

How do they absorb fetuses? It's such a creepy thought that they do that. But good luck! I hope she took and I hope my two does will lift and take soon

Sometimes if they are scared or their bodies have something wrong that would allow them not to have a successful pregnancy they can absorb their babies. I don't know if it goes along with being prey for so many animals that its a part of how they protect them or why exactly they are able to do this (yes it is a creepy thought). I don't know much about it but I would think its something that would happen in earlier stages of pregnancy, rather than later. I feel like that only makes sense. And the only way anyone know if it happened is if they are good at palpating and feel babies, then, no babies come. I hope yours do as well-of course keep us posted! Spring is upon us, time for lots of baby bunnies! <br /><br /> -- Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:25 pm -- <br /><br />
ButtonsPalace":2gjbfco9 said:
I currently have three very hateful does who have been showing some attitude due to the fact they want to be bred. But there I am having to watch them and hold them down so they don't mount my bucks. Is it ok for them to be so aggressive about trying to hump? Like these girls are REALLY pushy! I would love to know if your doe took though, and if she calms down after a litter..

It is fine if the Does are hateful and have attitude, as long as they don't hurt the Bucks when mounting. With mine I always stay and watch every time they are together so I know how many fall offs occurred, but this time I was specifically watchful of any type of hurtful aggression, that could indicate fighting or injure my Buck. I was ready to yank her out of there at a moments notice. I say if they are being like that its better to try and get them bred when they are willing and ready, as long as you want to and are prepared for kits:)

Well they grab a wad of hair on the bucks back but that's the same vice versa. I just don't want them in the habit of humping bucks lol. I have a more aggressive buck, not that he's mean but he definitely knows what he wants and how to get it.. Only issue is I can't put him with virgin does without them screaming.. The boy is well endowed..... Maybe a bit too well..

They pretty much all hump each other, it's how they establish dominance and also let the males know they are in the mood. I don't think you can really stop that, but an Doe that hurts a Buck can ruin him to the point he won't even try again because of the experience. Well endowed? For a bunny? Too funny!

if she's a nervy rabbit.... WHY did you choose to breed her?

Do you like nervy rabbits? Are you hoping to cement that behaviour in your rabbitry?
Does she have some outstanding characteristic that you need in your herd?

Just questions to ask.
Might be age related, but if she's always been a busy hyper rabbit, you have to ask if you LIKE that behaviour, and if you don't... why did you breed her? And if you do... well you're sure to get more of it. :)

Her parents are great both as parents and behavior wise. She's not always been like now, but I do understand what you are saying. The reason we got into rabbits was because we were gifted one who was grouchy and lunging, and were given one more like that later. Both of them have turned out to be lovely moms and pets, all they needed was to be allowed to have a litter or 2 and grow up some. I am hoping the same for her. I have never had a psycho rabbit who has stayed a psycho rabbit. I don't plan on giving her strikes, just a chance to see if she will be a good mom. I do not want to create a bunch of rabbits with her personality. I assumed that since her parents were nice and we own them both, that she would have a good chance of producing others like them too. Is this not the case?

macksmom98":2ouz00nq said:
They pretty much all hump each other, it's how they establish dominance and also let the males know they are in the mood. I don't think you can really stop that, but an Doe that hurts a Buck can ruin him to the point he won't even try again because of the experience. Well endowed? For a bunny? Too funny!

Maybe endowed is the wrong word.. But after he made my doe scream, I grabbed him to make sure nothing was wrong with his bits. Nothing at all wrong I just don't think he can be with any virgin does anymore.

rabbits are funny.

I've learned to be very mindful of early temperament particularly with fancy stock.

I don't want to sell rabbits to people, who often don't know how to handle rabbits, and have that rabbit turn out to have a less than positive personality. Temperament is REALLY important. Busy busy babies.... can be great moms...but they can also produce busy busy babies that turn out to be busy busy adults...in a pet home that isn't equipped to handle that busyness. and have that busy rabbit start peeing, and being destructive and ... you get the picture I'm sure.

If you aren't selling to pet homes and want to give those busy babies a chance to be a stellar adults GO FOR IT. :) but it's just something to be mindful of. Can you produce what you want without risking that busy, slightly nutty, behaviour? Busy rabbits are quite often SMART rabbits. Dumb rabbits...make better pets. :)

rabbits are funny.

I've learned to be very mindful of early temperament particularly with fancy stock.

I don't want to sell rabbits to people, who often don't know how to handle rabbits, and have that rabbit turn out to have a less than positive personality. Temperament is REALLY important. Busy busy babies.... can be great moms...but they can also produce busy busy babies that turn out to be busy busy adults...in a pet home that isn't equipped to handle that busyness. and have that busy rabbit start peeing, and being destructive and ... you get the picture I'm sure.

If you aren't selling to pet homes and want to give those busy babies a chance to be a stellar adults GO FOR IT. :) but it's just something to be mindful of. Can you produce what you want without risking that busy, slightly nutty, behaviour? Busy rabbits are quite often SMART rabbits. Dumb rabbits...make better pets. :)

I agree with that:). I guess we will see what happens and dispatch whatever doesn't work out. We are trying to improve our line and it makes no sense to sell someone a crazy rabbit. It's a roll of the dice as to what we will get. Rabbits are interesting and keep me constantly learning, that's part of the fun!

Latest posts

Back