Register

How long does it take to feed your rabbits?

Discussion of all aspects of rabbits as meat animals. If this subject is offensive to you, please do not visit.
8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 3,441.00

How long does it take to feed your rabbits?

Post Number:#1  Unread postby a7736100 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:06 am

It takes me on average an hour a day just to feed and water them. 19 cages about 50 rabbits.

Site Supporter
7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 32,531.00

Re: How long does it take to feed your rabbits?

Post Number:#2  Unread postby Dood » Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:12 pm

9 breeder cages and a 10' X 10' colony style grow out pen takes about 10 minutes

I use crocks instead of water bottles

4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
United States of America
BunnyBucks: 2,980.00

Post Number:#3  Unread postby shazza » Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:30 pm

ten, fifteen minutes? currently have 9 adult rabbits (some with litters) and 18 grow-outs in a colony pen. i have an automatic water system so i only have to refill them every two or three days and flush lines maybe once a month. growouts have bell waterers for chickens that last them a full day so i just refill in the morning and they're good til the next day. i am a person that thrives on efficiency and may or may not be a bit lazy so everything is set up so it takes me the least amount of time possible ;P
standard rex, himalayan, dutch, french lops, meat/fur mutts
blog: @frithyeerfarm | facebook: @frithyeer.rabbits | ig: @frithyeerfarm

Site Supporter
6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 15,234.00

Post Number:#4  Unread postby alforddm » Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:39 pm

I have 14 adult rabbits and currently 3 growout cages full. It takes me about 20 minutes on the days I don't have to fill water buckets and 45 minutes on days I do. I have gravity fed bucket water systems on all but 2 of the cages but I have to fill them manually with the water hose.

Adding the bucket watering system really helped reduce the time. I'm saving for a barn so that I can have all the rabbits under one roof and that should make things go even faster.

4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
United States of America Male
BunnyBucks: 1,030.00

Post Number:#5  Unread postby bigfoot_158 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:37 pm

I only have 7 cages so it take about 15 minutes to give pellet water and hay. We keep water and hay racks full all day. So probably like 35 minutes a day.
Have a Nice day
BigFoot

Site Supporter
5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 10,884.00

Post Number:#6  Unread postby FourRingCircus » Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:45 pm

It used to take me 20 minutes or so when I used waterbottles - switching to crocs cut that time drastically. If I am in a hurry I could probably do the 6 adults in 5-10 minutes, but I usually linger to scratch some ears, watch them eat, pluck some green stuff from somewhere, etc.
Formerly known as "heritage" :)

Homeschool mom of 4 little ones - 9, 8, 6, & 4!

Our Four Ring Farmstead journey will be on hold for a few years as we take on a new adventure in WV! Maybe a new focus on gardening in a cooler climate...

5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 6,427.00

Post Number:#7  Unread postby macksmom98 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:27 pm

12 rabbits, we spend about 15 mins 2 times a day if we are just in and out. That also allows time to take a look at them and scratch some ears....

Site Supporter
3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Canada Female
BunnyBucks: 3,919.00

Post Number:#8  Unread postby SarniaTricia » Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:02 pm

17 rabbits and 2 grow-out cages with 8 kits each

1/2 hour - bottles and crocks, hay, "j"feeders 1 cup for each rabbit and 6 cups for grow-outs
Breeding Czech Frosty & Magpie Harlequin Rabbits for Showing, Meat and Pelts...
Working towards a farm to raise animals with respect and care.
Amherstburg, Ontario, Canada

https://www.facebook.com/BABRabbits/
https://www.facebook.com/Growing-Urban- ... 749253819/
https://www.facebook.com/AmherstburgFarmersMarket/

8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 10,745.00

Post Number:#9  Unread postby AnnClaire » Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:11 pm

19 adults, 6 growouts feed and watering = 10 minutes with no cuddling or having to dump water tin & refill. Hay takes another 10 minutes once per week ... Sunday is hay-only day and helps keep from getting fat buns LOL

I still can't figure out how this one doe gets her poops in her water tin when I have moved it all the way across the cage from her j-feeder??? At least she isn't tearing it off the wall anymore! LOL

Even when I have all breeder cages full (18) and the two growout cages full (10-12 ea) and the junior cage line full (9), it still only takes about 15 minutes to feed and water.

When I first started out and began building my cages, I made sure each cage was set up the same way for the feeders and watering dish so that I can do all feeding and watering from the outside of the cage. I use a garden watering can with a nozzle that can slip between the wire.

Very soon all hayracks were discarded and I built my own from the piece I cut for the cage door. I knew I kept them for a reason!!! LOL Now, all hay is filled from the outside, too. Except for the junior cages which are situated close enough to each other that I just stuff the hay between the cages. This also helps keep bucklings from spraying each other through the sides! And if I really need to, I can add two more cages to the line, the end ones will just overhang the 1x square tubing the cages sit on by about 1/4 of the cage floor. It also helps keep them warmer in the winter!
cheers - AnnClaire

South Africa Female
BunnyBucks: 2,715.00

Post Number:#10  Unread postby LittleFluffyBunnies » Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:02 am

It takes me about 1 minute :lol:
Breeding pet Dwarf and Dwarf Angora rabbits. A rabbit fanatic!
LittleFluffyBunnies Rabbitry-Breeding Quality Dwarf Rabbits in South Africa
http://www.littlefluffybunnies.weebly.com
https://www.instagram.com/littlefluffybunnies/

South Africa Female
BunnyBucks: 1,474.00

Post Number:#11  Unread postby olafthebunny » Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:07 am

LFB why did you not log off? Ugh, the last post was meant to be mine, but LFB didnt log off. :evil: :evil: Eh....it's fine. I probably don't log off that much either. Sorry RT :oops: :( :o :shock:
Equestrian, Rabbit Owner, Author, Artist, Crocheter, and follower of Christ.