Advice on finding a processor.....

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

macksmom98

Reaction score
We have determined that after a couple of years raising pet rabbits, and venturing into meat buns for 4-h and now beyond:), that we would like to try cooking and eating our extras. Problem is we live in town, and even if I could look past a neighbor watching and the gut bucket smell, I just really get too attached to do the deed on my own. Many of my friends have their husbands do it for them, but mine is only willing to eat them. Anyway, what's the best way to find local processors? I have tried the usual google, and calling around and had no luck. They only do wild game and large animals. Anyway, just your thoughts would be appreciated. Anyone I have asked has tried to talk me into doing it on my own, just not interested.

Try the 4H teacher at the high school. They would most likely know the kids that would be willing for a few extra bucks.

IMHO, if you/hubby are wanting to eat it, you should be willing to butcher yourself.

As for nosey neighbors, put up a panel or two of privacy fencing in the dedicated butcher area.

As for the guts, I use plastic grocery bags in a junky aluminum pot under the hanging spot to collect all the offal ... I use 3 bags to make sure there is no leakage. Then I use a large stainless steel bowl in the chest freezer to hold the gut bags for freezing. These can then go in the trash for pick up ... just make sure they stay frozen in the heat of the summer. And, when you get really good, you can capture all the blood and not have too many flies while butchering and basically none after butchering.

Seriously, if you can break down a whole chicken from the store, you can do this. You will also ensure that your animal is handled with love and respect! My only "rule" is to not make pets out of those destined for freezer camp, but the breeders are *all* my pets :)

Doing it outside isn't a requirement either. I do mine in my kitchen. We kill by cervical dislocation or pellet, than hold them over the sink to bleed. Holding them controls the death theros, so no blood gets sprayed around. I don't cut throats or remove heads at that time. I don't hang them up to gut. It all seems too messy to me. I have a way of making a short belly cut and removing everything I need from there. Leaving the entire skin (paws, head, tail, and all) intact. This keeps a lot of hair off the meat. The whole process is hard to describe, but easy to teach and very efficient.

On the plus size, healthy rabbits have some of the better smelling guts... Chickens are the worst IMO.

I'd reach out to your local rabbit friends. Maybe find someone nearby that doesn't mind helping out.

Keep asking around.
Talk to people that advertise on Craig's list... kijiji... that are looking for meat rabbits..
Any abattoir that does chicken should be able to do rabbit as well..... Talk to other rabbit people at shows...

We have a friend that got out of raising rabbits, but still enjoys curing hides and eating rabbit... we often make a deal 1/2 the meat and pick of half the pelts..... in exchange for processing and pelt curing.

He is not always available when I need to process, due to work, hunting trips and health issues.... so He has taught me to do this myself
He also the one who gave me my foundation rabbit stock... Great guy and does amazing pelt/hide work.

I would do it for a few bucks but I am no where close to you. I have killed and butchered around 22 rabbits and it take a piece of my heart each time. But the rewards are great and you know you are eating healthy. Plus you know how the rabbits where treated while they grew out. I look for pee stains on their feet and how fast they grow. These are my terms for how they are treated. MHO. :)

Thats a good way to look at how they were treated. I am currently on the lookout for anyone buying or selling to see if I can cut a deal on having them do it. I don't think of anyone who can do it as being cold hearted at all. I grew up dressing out chickens, and if I absolutly had to I think I could do a rabbit too. I just honestly don't want to do it and would be willing to pay to have it done by someone locally. So for now, just keeping my eyes and ears open:) Looking forward to hopefully being able to try eating rabbit one day soon....

Latest posts

Back