How often to breed to keep production up?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LittleFluffyBunnies

Reaction score
I recently wrote out my breeding plan for this year. I had been planning to breed each doe twice a year(5-6 months in between). But, I am not sure if that is enough to keep up litter size. I don't know if a relatively long break will cause an internal fat buildup in my does, causing smaller litters.
I am not breeding for meat or show, so I am not looking for a large amount of kits. I am fine with any number. But, I do want a medium to large litter size(4-8 kits), as I feel they do better then 1 or 2. I know fat buildup contributes to smaller litters. So should I consider breeding 3 or maybe 4 times a year instead? I should be able to make that work. My concern was selling, but the pet market seems to be good. And, my backup plan is to sell leftover kits to the local pet shop(it is very nice, the people know us and I have bought half of my herd from there), where they have offered to buy kits before.

Otherwise, is there another way to prevent or eliminate internal fat? It would seem diet might play a role? My does get a set amount of feed that keeps them at a stable weight, and get free fed after the third week of pregnancy up to the weaning of the kits, with sunflower seeds as a supplement.

I'm not sure if this is a silly question, but I figure it never hurts to ask.

I think if you control the feed and do a weekly evaluation of condition.
Your breeding schedule sounds fine, if that's what works for you.
(all it takes is running your hand over the doe's back and down over her bum - you will be able to tell if she is getting enough to eat)

I have found checking around the shoulder area is were the flabbiness starts.... (I made a buck fat and I may never live it down from my rabbit friends)

Maybe create a rabbit exercise area.... an excessively large cage with levels.... give the does a week or a couple of days /month to live in the "big cage" ... include balls and twigs (heavier pieces)
(I'm considering creating something like this for my bucks... I do not want to make another buck fat.. I will never hear the end of it!!)

Thanks for the suggestions! I'll keep a close eye on the weight. I do exercise my rabbit 5-6 days a week for 15-30 minutes, so hopefully that helps for the exercise part, as I don't think I will be able to do a large cage.

I recently wrote out my breeding plan for this year. I had been planning to breed each doe twice a year(5-6 months in between). But, I am not sure if that is enough to keep up litter size. I don't know if a relatively long break will cause an internal fat buildup in my does, causing smaller litters.
I am not breeding for meat or show, so I am not looking for a large amount of kits. I am fine with any number. But, I do want a medium to large litter size(4-8 kits), as I feel they do better then 1 or 2. I know fat buildup contributes to smaller litters. So should I consider breeding 3 or maybe 4 times a year instead? I should be able to make that work. My concern was selling, but the pet market seems to be good. And, my backup plan is to sell leftover kits to the local pet shop(it is very nice, the people know us and I have bought half of my herd from there), where they have offered to buy kits before.

Otherwise, is there another way to prevent or eliminate internal fat? It would seem diet might play a role? My does get a set amount of feed that keeps them at a stable weight, and get free fed after the third week of pregnancy up to the weaning of the kits, with sunflower seeds as a supplement.

I'm not sure if this is a silly question, but I figure it never hurts to ask.
So if you breed, have bunnies at 30 days , wait 2 weeks to rebreed, bunnies will be 6 weeks when weaned mom should get a 2 week break of no kits before she's ready to kindle again. Best explanation of intense breeding would be from Bobby with the rabbitey center.

Back