How long does it take to feed your rabbits?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

a7736100

Reaction score
It takes me on average an hour a day just to feed and water them. 19 cages about 50 rabbits.

ten, fifteen minutes? currently have 9 adult rabbits (some with litters) and 18 grow-outs in a colony pen. i have an automatic water system so i only have to refill them every two or three days and flush lines maybe once a month. growouts have bell waterers for chickens that last them a full day so i just refill in the morning and they're good til the next day. i am a person that thrives on efficiency and may or may not be a bit lazy so everything is set up so it takes me the least amount of time possible ;P

I have 14 adult rabbits and currently 3 growout cages full. It takes me about 20 minutes on the days I don't have to fill water buckets and 45 minutes on days I do. I have gravity fed bucket water systems on all but 2 of the cages but I have to fill them manually with the water hose.

Adding the bucket watering system really helped reduce the time. I'm saving for a barn so that I can have all the rabbits under one roof and that should make things go even faster.

I only have 7 cages so it take about 15 minutes to give pellet water and hay. We keep water and hay racks full all day. So probably like 35 minutes a day.

It used to take me 20 minutes or so when I used waterbottles - switching to crocs cut that time drastically. If I am in a hurry I could probably do the 6 adults in 5-10 minutes, but I usually linger to scratch some ears, watch them eat, pluck some green stuff from somewhere, etc.

12 rabbits, we spend about 15 mins 2 times a day if we are just in and out. That also allows time to take a look at them and scratch some ears....

19 adults, 6 growouts feed and watering = 10 minutes with no cuddling or having to dump water tin & refill. Hay takes another 10 minutes once per week ... Sunday is hay-only day and helps keep from getting fat buns LOL

I still can't figure out how this one doe gets her poops in her water tin when I have moved it all the way across the cage from her j-feeder??? At least she isn't tearing it off the wall anymore! LOL

Even when I have all breeder cages full (18) and the two growout cages full (10-12 ea) and the junior cage line full (9), it still only takes about 15 minutes to feed and water.

When I first started out and began building my cages, I made sure each cage was set up the same way for the feeders and watering dish so that I can do all feeding and watering from the outside of the cage. I use a garden watering can with a nozzle that can slip between the wire.

Very soon all hayracks were discarded and I built my own from the piece I cut for the cage door. I knew I kept them for a reason!!! LOL Now, all hay is filled from the outside, too. Except for the junior cages which are situated close enough to each other that I just stuff the hay between the cages. This also helps keep bucklings from spraying each other through the sides! And if I really need to, I can add two more cages to the line, the end ones will just overhang the 1x square tubing the cages sit on by about 1/4 of the cage floor. It also helps keep them warmer in the winter!

LFB why did you not log off? Ugh, the last post was meant to be mine, but LFB didnt log off. :evil: :evil: Eh....it's fine. I probably don't log off that much either. Sorry RT :oops: :( :eek: :shock:

Back