Isn't this way too small for even tiny bunnies?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BunnyD

Reaction score
Our place is all mid century modern so we love this hutch but the measurements seem too small for them to even be selling it. :(

:bunnyhop: Do you have advice?

http://www.hayneedle.com/product/boomer-george-carter-indoor-rabbit-hutch.cfm

Welcome BunnyD

A little over 3 square feet isn't too small depending on the breed. So there is "enough" space for smaller breeds.

Here are the minimum cage sizes from the ARBA. https://www.arba.net/PDFs/CAW.pdf

Although "enough" is a relative term. Some people are fine with ARBA recommendations. Other people listen to what the house rabbit people say and would probably be appalled by that cage.

So if you like it, a portion of the rabbit raising community would think you have enough space.

What kind of rabbit do you have, or want to get?

i like to go in the midline of ARBA and HRS requirements. my outside rabbits have relatively large cages. i have a lionhead indoors that has a cage that's maybe a little bit bigger than that but he has a large area to run around in the house on a daily basis. i would say that for a dwarf breed that cage would be okay, as long as the bunny got daily outside run around time for exercise.

I'd say its too small. Although the floor space would be enough for the small rabbits, with the wooden divider between the open area and closed area, they wont have a chance to move around very much

It's more a nice piece of furniture but not a practical cage. Probably won't take long for the floor to be pee soaked and then rot. If you're not constantly cleaning it odor can only escape from the front. I would only use it as a sleeping room for dwarfs.

It may have a nice finish but it looks like cheap wood even before you read the description. Everything interior is going to be destroyed rapidly. I had a small mini rex rip through 1" outdoor plywood without an edge to grab. With an edge and bored in a small space expect the interior stripped. Even pine boards have a limited lifespan if they can get their teeth on it. I couldn't tell what the floor is as to whether it would hold but there's barely any lip there for bedding and no wire with tray so you'd have to potty train your rabbit and in that small of space it would be a challenge besides the fact some just never will. Where would you put a litter box and hay that would leave sitting space? Also, I found with other versions of these wood hutches that leaks are common. Even the ones designed to use a tray I would get urine running all down the legs and had containers of aglime sitting under the legs to catch and neutralize the urine.

You can build a basic rectangle cage on legs with higher quality wood and sealant for cheaper and many hardware stores will cut all the wood for you. GE silicone 1 is nontoxic even for aquariums and you can paint it waterproof in enamel or polyurethane but any edge will be chewed without a metal guard. There are cheap options for that too. Shelves and stuff should be considered disposable and built to be replaced if using wood. Ramps are unnecessary and take up cage space. Even dwarf rabbits can generally clear 2' high, definitely 1', and it's unlikely you'll have a need for a single shelf to be higher than that. If the cage is that tall it will probably be big enough for a series of shelves to get up there. Many also go the route of wire shelving which some stores can also cut for you and eliminates the chewing and damage by pee but opens it up to throwing bedding and poop out. I could throw together a cage double that size in less than hours with a day wait if there is sealant or outside stain to dry for less than $50 in softwood or wire and a bit more in hardwood. It just wouldn't have the furniture style curved edges and such when using only a basic table saw.

Back