Can I let them kindle together in the same hutch?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ButtonsPalace

Reaction score
I have two does who have been together since birth and when I separated them they both became very depressed, even when neighbors, they live in a large 4x4 cage with a few sticks and empty toilet paper rolls for toys, they play and cuddle and eat together, I was to breed them here soon, on the same day, to different bucks, this way they'll kindle together. I know there may be some faults to this like what if one doesn't take, what if one miscarries, what if they decide they hate each other???. I have another cage ready if that was the case. I plan to watch them very closely throughout the entire pregnancy right up to the end and even after that. They will also have separate nest box's on opposite ends of the cage. Both does will be 7 months old towards the end of this month, they are both as big as mom, and don't act like little babies anymore, in my opinion they act like mature young rabbits, I'm just wondering, Is it to early still? Both of them are purple and swollen in the genital area, should I put them with a buck? Since this is their first time should I take them out if they tried to like stand up against the walls or anything like that?

7 months doesn't sound like "too young". So they sound breedable.

As for whether you sound keep them in the same cage and try to get them to kindle.... I honestly think you are asking for trouble. I have heard it go both ways in colony settings; people saying the two team up and others saying the worst happens. Just because they get along now doesn't mean they will act the same way with litters. Having two nest boxes doesn't mean they will both want the same one. There are a million ways this could go wrong. I tend to be risk adverse so I would rather have two seperate litters in two seperate areas.

You can give it a try. But my gut tells me you'll be seperating them sooner rather than having a nice storybook situation.

I agree, just asking for trouble in my opinion.. I wouldn't want to risk losing the litters or either of the does to fighting, etc. They do sound old enough, so maybe breed and then separate them.

Good luck!

If you decide to breed them (and I agree they sound ready) then you might want to consider a compromise. Leave them together for the first three weeks and then remove one to a separate cage for kindling and raising the kits. If the cages are side by side, so much the better. They won't be lonely once the babies arrive and you have a much stronger chance of trouble-free kindling if each has her own cage.

Well I've had a doe kindle with another doe in a much smaller cage and had zero issues, they were littermates just the same as these, I don't wanna be ballsy and risk losing a bunch of kits but at the same time I'm curious if they'd be fine with a colony style set-up... I think what I might do is breed them same day and separate them a few days before kindling and see how they do, if they act like they did last time I separated I'll put them together till day before they kindle and see if they still feel the same after babies. I'd love to have a colony, because it's whats most natural to them, but I also don't want to lose babies if it's not necessary. That's also very true MaggieJ, I have been wanting to build more cages outside so I can house them beside one another but haven't got to yet, I'd have to bring her inside, which is why I now don't want to breed till I can house them side by side which might be a bit. Well I think I'll breed them and leave them together until 3 weeks then I'll separate, I think once I get set up I might move them into the cage the two bucks are in, there is a removable divider that would be perfect, literally let them live together and then separate temporarily while they raise kits. (Unless they don't want to live together anymore)

I was thinking that as well. I love that they are such good friends I might make a wire divider I can slide in and out of a cage so they can hang out until right before it's time for them to kindle and then they can still see each other until the babies are weaned. I'll be building more cages as soon as I go back out to TSC and get wire and clips :)

I would for sure keep them seperate. Not having issues is great, but that is only if it works out again for you. And IMHO this is not true colony style, because they are in a cage. They cannot burrow or hide in the same way those in a colony would. It looks like you are getting the same advice from everyone here. I like the idea of just simply installing a divider. You never know what hormones will cause an animal to do, and hormones are extra strong in some does. Best of luck!

i used to keep my rabbits in pairs and breed them to kindle at the same time.

this is what happens.

either

1. they will share the same nest.... in which case have a bigger than expected nestbox. You need to be watchful of dead kits in this scenario

2. one will take a nestbox and guard it and decide the other is hers as well for you know..sitting and pooping in.

3. both will take their own nestbox.

4. both will reject the nestbox idea and decide a corner spot is desired... some discussion might take place between them as to who gets what corner.

They may or may not get along with each other....same as right now...they may or may not get along with each. All you can do is watch and see. You tend to be able to see what will happen pre-kindle if you watch what they are doing with nesting material. Stand and watch A LOT.

I had it work quite successfully for about two years and then it all just fell apart and I ended up putting dividers in.

I keep my does in pairs, and breed them alternatly. Never any problem for 4 years now. Just never have an older litter around when the other doe kindles - they don't care what they trample and pee on.
Sometimes I take the not pregnant doe out for 1 or 2 days around kindling, normally just the dominant one.
Mine are all mother/daughter pairs, and were never seperated for more than a week, so they are used to each other.

If I would breed them simultanously, I would divide the hutch a few days before kindling, and remove the barrier 1 or 2 days after, I wouldn't trust their social qualities when hormones run high and instint spurs them...

My hutches are about 7x2.5x3.5 ft, with 2 or 3 levels, one big box and 1 or 2 nestboxes, and they get garden time almost every day.

I use closed wooden nestboxes, about 30-35cm high and with a single entrance just big enough for the doe. The hole gets stuffed tight for the first 2 weeks, and the other doe has no interest in the box, there are more comfy hidy and poopy places.

I have no tight breeding shedule (and too many does :? ), so it's never a problem to wean a litter before the next breeding.

Just watching them interact, grooming, and so on makes it worth it for me. But all rabbits are different, and at least one of my does would be equally happy alone, she never has the upper hand and got depressed when living with my Shrew and Fury, now she's ok with one of her daughters.

Also, it's a lot less work to care for 4 hutches than for 7.

Back