cheapest place to buy wire

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sireenica

Reaction score
First question If I only need 4 ft of cage bottom wire is there any place cheaper than Klubertanz who wants to charge $40 for shipping or KW where the total for the wire and the shipping is $40?

Second question- how vital is it that cage wire be 14 gauge 1x1/2- would larger sizes be ok or would anything larger be risking the rabbits feet and comfort?

this is for a 9-12 lb rabbit

Sireenica":2uc0r3qc said:
Second question- how vital is it that cage wire be 14 gauge 1x1/2- would larger sizes be ok or would anything larger be risking the rabbits feet and comfort?

Can't help you on the first question. But for the second one, it would be a risk to have larger holes. I would go as far to say that 1" x 0.5" is probably the minimum. With larger holes you would have the risk of the rabbit slipping through a hole and possibly getting injured. You don't want to cull your rabbit because it ripped the skin off its leg or something.

You should go with 14 gauge wire over 16 gauge. 14 is a bigger wire and is stiffer, so the bottom won't sag as much. 16 gauge can work but it might wear out sooner and will dig into their feet more (possible concern if you have a rex or a rabbit prone to sore hocks).

KenoshaRabbits":36vajmt4 said:
Sireenica":36vajmt4 said:

Can't help you on the first question. But for the second one, it would be a risk to have larger holes. I would go as far to say that 1" x 0.5" is probably the minimum. With larger holes you would have the risk of the rabbit slipping through a hole and possibly getting injured. You don't want to cull your rabbit because it ripped the skin off its leg or something.

You should go with 14 gauge wire over 16 gauge. 14 is a bigger wire and is stiffer, so the bottom won't sag as much. 16 gauge can work but it might wear out sooner and will dig into their feet more (possible concern if you have a rex or a rabbit prone to sore hocks).

I kinda figured as much on the gauge.

I got a 3rd related question then. I could also order two smaller panels as floor bottoms, I am thinking shipping would be cheaper then BUT is there a risk to the rabbit then? I would be using zip ties to secure them but dont want to pinch any rabbit feet. Has anyone tried this?

if you turn the cut edge of the ziptie down it shouldn't hurt their feet, but i would be worried about them possibly chewing on them and dropping the floor out from underneath them. j-clips might work better - just again make sure the seam is pointed downward so they won't step on it

I have one large (5ftx4.5ft) cage that has 12gauge pcv coated wire for the floor. The holes end up being about 3/4"x3/4". It used to be a dog kennel and was given to me. I only use it for growouts that are over around 6weeks of age and it has worked well for that situation. The holes are to big for smaller kits to manage so I don't use it for does with litters. I kept a mutt buck in it at one time and he did fine, but I'd never keep one of my full grown rex in it as I'm afraid it would be to hard on their hocks.

I wouldn't do zip ties. Mine have chewed them when they had access to them, and I heard another story on here of one getting one stuck in their throats. J clips aren't overly expensive to get started with (just the clips and the pliers) and they are nice to have around.

Not sure on the wire either - I need to get some to replace the hardware cloth on the bottom of my hutches... it was how the previous owner built them. Poop doesn't drop through, especially the slightly bigger bucks and the does that have recently had babies, it's too thin and rough on their feet (they each have a tile to rest on), and parts are starting to rust anyway. It's going to be a beast of a project though, and I am not looking forward to it.

I have had a friend do the 14g floor on one of her stacking cages....
it was an upgrade from the existing flooring and made a big difference for the does housed there.

She ordered ahead and picked up at a show. (same company)
You could do that to save on the shipping..... alternatively, have someone pick-up for you...??

Our Home Hardware sometimes carries 14g... I'm sure a feed store or Farm store in your area could order you a roll.... you would need to cut and flatten yourself... but I think it is worth it.

SarniaTricia":26apsy9r said:
I'm sure a feed store or Farm store in your area could order you a roll.... you would need to cut and flatten yourself... but I think it is worth it.

You would think so...but in my area? Nope. I've called every feed store and hardware supply within 45 minutes and no one can get it.

Back