Not enough homes

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Harelady

Reaction score
I am begining to realise that there is a low demand for Belgian Hares especially the Tan variety in my area. I have several nice does that are already past a year old that have not been bred yet. Due to not having the room to do so. They are becoming to old to sell as breeders and the pet market is so swamped here. I am probable going to have to sell to a cull buyer or process them myself. A bit of a shame they are nice rabbits. But need room for the kits I do have. Sigh it's hard being a small rabbitry of a rare breed.

Does anyone else have the same problem?

Have you tried contacting transport groups and getting your rabbits sold a bit farther out?
I have a friend that has joined transport groups and sells her REX all over.
The buyer arranges with the transporters, but if you are connected with a transporter group, you get their intended travel map and advertise with that.
This way your potential buyer can get your product and the transport group gets customers, because you are advertising for them and you sell your rabbits... win, win, win

Hare lady where are you from?? Myself and several other breeders keep waiting lists for our babies. People are fighting over hares and breeding crap rabbits (sorry no offence meant) because demand for this breed is HIGH!
I'd love to help you get in the "loop" if you wish. :)
You're right that black and tan is less popular though. I suspect this might change in the next few years once they are able to be shown in ARBA shows.

I am in Nebraska and mostly have BT does that need homes. I do have one Rufus doe that took BOB last week at a show. She is out of BT but is really a nice rabbit if you are willing to cull for color. Most of these rabbits are littermates so people would need other hares to breed them to. I could make a trip to the border if it meant they get good homes. If you like I can post pictures of a few.

Do you know Jeanne Walton?
If you want to private message me your Facebook I can friend you and put you in some hare specific groups. Jeanne could probably help as well.

Sadly I just bought a 2 Jr bucks and a Sr doe for $150US each to bring to Canada so I am done on restocking. :(

Harelady":3demficb said:
I am in Nebraska and mostly have BT does that need homes. I do have one Rufus doe that took BOB last week at a show. She is out of BT but is really a nice rabbit if you are willing to cull for color. Most of these rabbits are littermates so people would need other hares to breed them to. I could make a trip to the border if it meant they get good homes. If you like I can post pictures of a few.

I'm in Windsor, Ontario area (Detroit border)
I go over to Michigan (Lansing area mostly) to shows
If you can arrange transport... I could get the rabbits north (actually looking to take a trip to Guelph in the coming months... weather dependent.. stupid snow)

I am also attending the Ohio Mini convention in May, then the London, Ontario show in June... so keep me in mind for that as well...

Usually the transport rate is $30 a rabbit for "X" miles or "this" part of the journey. The buyer would do the arranging and you might need to drive to a location to drop off the rabbits.
Just an example of one of the many FB groups I found:
https://www.facebook.com/Hare-There-Rab ... 380620373/

Funny... I just logged in to inquire about Belgian Hares.
I'm way down in southwestern Florida, but I thought I'd chime in.
I looked at the ABHC website this afternoon and found a breeder and club officer about an hour away from me. I sent off an email a little while ago.
Yes... I'm thinking I want some. An unrelated pair to keep as pets, and for limited breeding. I'd like quality buns, but I doubt I'd ever show. So color wouldn't be a top priority, would it?

To keep things in perspective, I'd have to cut my little meat herd down even further to about one breeding pair at a time. I recently sold 4 of my 8 breeders. I've decided that meat production isn't as exciting as I had hoped, but in the process, I've gotten hooked on the furry little buggers.

Rabbitosis..... Good Grief!!! :slap:

Latest posts

Back