Questions before starting fodder

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ButtonsPalace

Reaction score
I found way to start the fodder, I want to do this especially since I'm making my own ACV.
http://www.littlehouseliving.com/meaning-of-fodder.html

According to google I need to feed my rabbits "Rabbit: 3-5 percent of their body weight in fodder; hay ration for roughage" Since I breed Silver Fox, I'm chalking everyone's weight's up to 11-12 because I'd rather make to much than to little. If I did my math right then 3% of 12 is about 2.25 lbs. correct? and then they would still get hay and 1/2 a cup of pellets daily, 1 cup for moms/pregnant/grow-out. Thoughts? So if they need 2.25 lbs per rabbits and I currently am keeping 11 rabbits of this size, BUT I plan to get more SF and FA, so in the end I should have I'm gonna guesstimate 15 in the end because, that's probably where I'll be So I would need about 33.75 lbs just for the 15..
Now I wanna talk about grow-outs, these are gonna be pretty much all my meat buns, I am hoping to get 2-3 A frame grow out cages sometime over the summer for them and then I intend to feed them a mix of house greens when available, fodder, pellets, hay and what they get off the ground. These dudes will be the freezer camp buns, so I want them to weigh about 5-6 lbs live pref, does this diet sound like it would work? I wanna put a board in about the middle for them to jump over, and a little house raised about 6 inches with a door to shut them in at night, seeing buns would only be staying in these for about a month or so would his work? Since I want these guys to grow I figure feeding them 5% would be a good idea and again *if I did my math right then they should be eating 1.875 lbs daily each, so I'll go ahead and assume each litter will be at least 9 and since I'll have 1 or 2 to begin with I'll need about 16.875 for one set of 9 and 33.75 is double.

So in total I'll need at least 67.5 lbs of fodder to feed all my rabbits and kits. Wow, now let's talk about set-up, since I need so much how would I want to set this up? (I also plan to do aquaponics soon so that'll also add to the variety of foods and stuff they'll be eating, as well as other fruit, and bushes they can eat. ) How big of totes would I need? how many totes would I need? How much seed would I need? Should I mix seeds to give them variety, grow them separately or just feed one kind? Where is a good place I can buy seeds in 50lb bags?

We grow fodder from wheat during the cold months so that our rabbits are getting some fresh green food even when we can't gather forage. When the temps get warmer it is much harder to grow it out to feeding stage (about a week) without getting moldy.
Your math is wrong if you really meant 3% but closer if you mistyped and meant 30%. If you really mean 3, then you need a lot less than what you stated. We don't feed ours by weight since it would depend so much on how wet it was when fed. (One advantage of feeding the fodder through the winter is that they get so much water from it when most of their feed is dry.)
We tried mixing seeds for fodder and but went back to straight wheat.

Rainey":1n0pcw45 said:
We grow fodder from wheat during the cold months so that our rabbits are getting some fresh green food even when we can't gather forage. When the temps get warmer it is much harder to grow it out to feeding stage (about a week) without getting moldy.

This was my issue, I tried growing fodder during the spring through summer 2016 and finally scrapped it due to the unrelenting mold! I was washing pans between sets, using the recommended bleach water to soak the seeds, then switched to vinegar water since that was suggested and nothing really worked! The seeds were growing just fine and dandy, but they were riddled with mold after about a week.

I may take a leaf out of your book and try it again right now since the weather is cold-ish. The buns sure did love it when they got it... but I've since repurposed the fodder rack into three grow-out pens, lol.

Sorry I'm not too much help Buttons, but I will say the red and white wheat definitely seemed to grow the best for me, also I mixed in BOSS and that grew well too. For some weird reason the barley never really took off, though I had read it's supposedly one of the easiest to grow. I've also heard oats are quite difficult to grow correctly, so I didn't even bother trying lol.

I purchased each 50lb bag of wheat, barley, BOSS from a "local" feed store.

Well I figured my math was way off, I used the 3% and did this equation 0.03 x 12 = .36 .36 I assumed would be 36 oz of feed so I converted oz to lbs and got 2.25 lbs. per bunny. I'm not the best at math obviously so I've probably done this super wrong.

ButtonsPalace":opulxa61 said:
Well I figured my math was way off, I used the 3% and did this equation 0.03 x 12 = .36 .36 I assumed would be 36 oz of feed so I converted oz to lbs and got 2.25 lbs. per bunny. I'm not the best at math obviously so I've probably done this super wrong.

OK Buttons, I see now what you did. Your calculation was fine, but the .36 is pounds (because the 12 was pounds. And .36 pounds is closer to a third of a pound than a half.
When teaching, I encourage estimating. I haven't given exact ounces because I'd have to do it with a pencil and paper or a calculator, but I know that 10% of 12 is 1.2 and 3 is less than a third of 10. Don't know if it helps you at all to think of it that way. And sorry--i'm getting rather off topic.

Latest posts

Back