Found something odd

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TNBear23

Reaction score
We have been raising rabbits for about two years now and have butchered a few dozen to date. Today we decided to take care of a couple. Well here is the odd thing, their abdominal cavities had fluid in it. There was not a large amount, but enough that it could be seen once it was skinned. It was clear, looked like water. These two rabbits were approximately 16 weeks old. The only thing that I noticed while they were growing was one didn't seem to gain weight as fast as the others but he did gain and appeared healthy. All organs appeared normal and healthy. I'm concerned they may not be safe for us to eat. Has anyone else seen this? Should I be concerned? What causes this? Thanks in advance for any info.

Dood":3jir7k3i said:
I've only seen abdominal fluid in conjunction with liver or kidney damage

Did both those organs look normal?

Yes, they were very normal in color and size.

I come across some of this fluid now and then, not very often or very much of it, but it does happen, for no obvious reason. My theory is that it might have something to do with the rabbits picking up something, but not getting really sick. I was promised that all my rabbits will die of cocci because I let them out in the garden and dig, and my hutches are not the most steril out there, but since my rabbits can obviously deal with that and none got sick I don't worry.
I had a Myxo outbreak once, and all those rabbits had a lot of fluid, that's why suspect a connection to their immune system being at work.

It doesn't spoil the meat, actually I don't know of anything that would render a rabbit unsave to eat.

Latest posts

Back