First show down-we caught the bug! What next?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

macksmom98

Reaction score
So this past week my daughter took her Calis to their first show ever, at our local county fair. Her meat pen didn't make it, our back up scratched his eye then one of the three ripped out a toenail, leaving us with only 2. They did allow her to show a single fryer, so we picked the largest of the 2. She didn't place with him (he was still too small at 4 lbs), but she took 5th place with her Buck in breeding. She was so excited to get something other than a participation, and we learned so much this first year, we are calling it a success! We liked it so much we decided to attend the upcoming ARBA show in a couple of weeks in Victoria TX. We are buying a new Buck-Giant American Chinchilla, supposed to be of great stock, to show as a breeder. We are also looking at getting a Holland Pedigreed Buck to replace our pet quality one, also to show. This is the first way we plan to improve our heard. Also, the breeder that we bought our Buck and Doe for show babies (they placed 3rd overall meat pen last year), she is wanting to sell the rest of that group, 3 does to add to our program. None are pedigreed. We intend to play around with litters this spring, and see what we can develop for next year. How does all this sound? I would love opinions on anything we could consider to do differently. Where we live, most shows are about 6 hours or so away, so when they come closer we are planning to attend any that we can to learn more. Also had our first litter of the 2017 Hollands on 1/6, and bred 3 more:) Hoping for full nest boxes this spring!

Ill have to go back and check my messages, I thought they were the same! Guess I need to do a little more research:) Just heard that breed was less competitive and hoping to give my beginner a little success right off the bat, to boost her confidence. We don't expect to win it all, and she is 11 so she does understand that getting 2nd, 3rd, 4th means more if there are 20 others as opposed to 5 others, but its more fun to at least be able to compete.....

__________ Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:07 pm __________

Also, our Calis aren't pedigreed, its not required for 4-H. Do you all suggest upgrading to something with a pedigree or do you feel we have a good start with what we have? <br /><br /> __________ Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:28 pm __________ <br /><br /> 16237433_1335238943202455_2054533291_n.jpgHe is a Giant Chinchilla, I confirmed.

In my opinion pedigreed is a good thing. You're buying from a breeder who put in the effort to keep records, and you'll likely pay a little extra. But, you're starting a little further ahead then meat mutts.
I encourage you to look around at the show in TX. There will be breeders there selling show quality stock that you can put your hands on. You know exactly what you are buying. Ask a ton of questions. Join the ARBA. The membership includes a good book with lots of articles, plus a magazine subscription. They also have additional resources available, like a breed standard book, which will help you choose your next acquisitions. Once you find a breed you like, join that national breed club. More resources to help you refine your eye for good quality. Enjoy yourself, have fun with it all. That's most important.

We are ARBA members, and I love getting the magazine! We moved last fall and o need to dig that book back out. I will look into pedigreed stock and joining the specific clubs, as well as get advice from the folks at the show. We will be purchasing at least one new pedigreed rabbit, and probably more. I think I will start with a Cali Doe. Thank you-this makes sense and is good advice!

Latest posts

Back