The tiniest runt!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nyctra

Reaction score
Look how tiny!!
I've had 1oz buns born before, but they had either died or caught up. I'm thinking now this might very well be the runtiest runt I've ever had. :p
Admittedly, the little guy did need help nursing, but he's still chugging along!

Attachments

• IMG_2162.jpg
    IMG_2162.jpg
    221.2 KB · Views: 985
  • IMG_1642.jpg
    IMG_1642.jpg
    182.3 KB · Views: 985
  • babes.jpg
    babes.jpg
    203.3 KB · Views: 985
  • IMG_1513.jpg
    IMG_1513.jpg
    220 KB · Views: 985
  • IMG_1078.jpg
    IMG_1078.jpg
    225.3 KB · Views: 985
i have one too! i didn't weigh any of them so i don't know exactly how much smaller she is, but it's still really obvious at 5 weeks ;P

tumblr_ojzvb1rbc51vlx0zao1_540.jpg

tumblr_oja1moJ9xY1vlx0zao1_540.jpg

she would sit on top of her siblings to see better (before i moved them all to a big hutch and left her with mom for a few more days)

tumblr_oincrm1DKl1vlx0zao2_r1_540.jpg

two or three weeks old - the size difference is still about the same. the rest of them are huge and she's just tiny tiny and looks much younger. i'm not sure if she'll be much good for eatin' in march, but she is cute. i'm hoping one of my friends will adopt her as a housebunny or something, haha.

They feel pointless to grow out and can be heartbreaking, but boy do the "special" buns make it a little more fun. :oops:

Fatty & Tiny are a couple days shy of 5 weeks!
They're 19.3oz and 8.1oz now. :D

Attachments

• IMG_2619.jpg
    IMG_2619.jpg
    287.2 KB · Views: 922
I had a runt in a litter of 8 and with just a couple of supplemental feedings, he did just fine. He got in there and fought successfully for his fair share and had a full belly after each feeding. However, he never did catch up in size, but that just moved him into the pet rabbit category for sale.

Sometimes they do well, other times, there is something wrong internally and no matter how much we support them, they die and we have to accept it as part of raising livestock.

I love them while they are here, and cherish their memory when they are gone.

Apparently, the feed I'd been using got recalled, which is what I'd used through most of her gestation and lactation. I saw several locals complaining about poor condition, litters, breedability, and such. So maybe that has something to do with why only a couple kits are really a decent size, and why one of my French angoras is a stunted 5lb midget. :?

Attachments

• IMG_2601.jpg
    IMG_2601.jpg
    241.6 KB · Views: 903

Latest posts

Back