Silver Fox won't pull hair or use nest box

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MidwestMatthew

Reaction score
We bought an adult Silver Fox a few months ago. Good-sized, in great health, and pretty good-natured too. She let our buck breed her immediately.

Then she had all the babies right on the wire. Didn't pull a bit of hair, didn't use the nest box, nothing. Obviously they all died.

I know this can happen with first-time mothers, so we tried again. This time she pulled two small tufts of hair, but still didn't use the nest box. Lost the whole litter again.

We really like her body composition and want her in our herd, but we can't afford to feed a rabbit that won't produce.

In case it's relevant, the litters have been fairly small - 3 in the first, 5 in the second. The buck bred her at least three times in each case.

Should we keep trying? Is there anything we can do to help her be a better mother?

How old is she? I know you said adult, but how old? Do you have another buck to try?

I would try one more time (I have the 3 strikes-you're-out rule). Before she kindles, put A LOT of hay on her hutch floor (4-5 inches). Put the nesting box in, she may have them on the wire again but if she does, they may live since they'll be protected by hay. Cut fur from her with scissors (don't cut her skin! They have thin skin like cats) or pluck fur from her yourself. Some first timers take 1-5 tries before they know the ropes.

I raise Silver Fox too. :)

She's two and a half. I was under the impression she'd had successful litters before, but now I'm wondering if I had some rabbits mixed up (I talked to a few owners before making a choice).

One other thing: She had her babies mid-morning this time, rather than overnight. I know that's not considered "normal." But does it signify anything about her maternal abilities?

Anyway, she ought to be pregnant again as of this afternoon, so we'll see what happens in a month. At least this time we have a proven doe also (probably) pregnant as of today, so hopefully we'll at least be able to foster in the Silver Fox kits if necessary.

time of day of the birth shouldn't matter too much about their ability. you can't always choose when you go into labour. i think there may be some correlation to time of breeding to time of birth, but the 'kindle at night' is not a rule. i had a doe kindle twelve in the middle of the day and despite her milk coming in a bit late she was a great mom and didn't lose a single kit.

i would try again, but if she doesn't get it i would look elsewhere. she may be a great doe but there's plenty of other great does that will also keep a litter alive.

Back