Terrible First Time Doe Experience

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaytonHillRabbits

Reaction score
So... I am just not having any luck with my rabbits lately.. I am replacing my 1 year old buck who suddenly seems unable to get the job done... I had 3 does miss entirely, one who gave me 2 babies, and then this doe who kindled 1 on the 2nd..

Now this doe was a first timer, she did not build a nest or pull ANY fur. None. She birthed the 1 kit on the wire and luckily I was there and noticed it before it chilled and died, I put it in the nest box and for the next few days she was A1 with feeding and caring for it, but never did pull fur. Well.. this morning I woke up and went to check and she had eaten half of the kit. I just.. :evil:

Is this a doe I should try again with? She was doing so well.. I expected maybe the kit wouldn't make it but not because she would kill it in this way.. I have never had anything like this happen, I've been blessed by great mothers and have never lost a kit of one of my own rabbits.. I'm so upset...

What is the concensus.. rebreed and hope she will do it right next time? Or rehome as a pet.

Most likely your doe did not kill the kit. A single kit has trouble keeping warm on its own and it likely died of chilling. The doe then proceeded to clean up by eating the dead kit. This is pretty normal and not a strike against the doe.

If you plan to rebreed her, she will likely be quite receptive so shortly after kindling.

I second MaggieJ's thoughts. I have never had a rabbit cannibalize live kits, however they will try to get rid of deceased ones in the only way they can: eating them.

I will say I have had a doe eat a live kit (it was not pretty :x :cry: ) but majority of the time they are just cleaning up the mess so predators aren't attracted to the nest. I try to give a "3 strikes and you're out" rule to my breeders. Some have really cut it close, but came through just in time. Other people aren't as lenient - it's a personal decision.

She spent a lot of time in the nest cleaning the baby so I figure she may have overdone it or something.. it was nasty though I don't really want a repeat of that ever again.. I have bred her back though, she was quite happy to see the buck.. here's hoping next time she figures it out. <br /><br /> -- Fri Oct 07, 2016 12:06 pm -- <br /><br /> Unfortunately it looks like she didn't take, I am not having any luck with these rabbits! SHe's three days past her due date and I did her nails and had a good feel of her belly and cannot feel anything so I guess I'll try again.. these rabbits will be the death of me... I need the babies! Hahahah

DaytonHillRabbits":1g712jbq said:
-- Fri Oct 07, 2016 12:06 pm --

Unfortunately it looks like she didn't take, I am not having any luck with these rabbits! SHe's three days past her due date and I did her nails and had a good feel of her belly and cannot feel anything so I guess I'll try again.. these rabbits will be the death of me... I need the babies! Hahahah
Leave the nestbox in with her! Three days over is not very long and I can't number the times I've heard the heartbroken refrain "but I didn't think she was pregnant after all!" upon finding dead kits on the wire.

And relax. Sure you want kits, but they are not machines and they don't always breed like rabbits. When you hit a dry spell, you just need to go with the flow until things improve. :)

Grumpy this was a doe that I had bought.

Unfortunately this doe ended up being sent off this week. She had successfully raised one litter after the last miss. She raised 4 kits, lost one that litter, beautiful healthy babies with no issues..

I bred her back to repeat the cross and.. I could kill her.. She had 5 magpie marked kits, beautiful gorgeous babies.. at the 2 week mark I went out to feed and check up on everyone and she had massacred her entire litter. All dead. Legs and ears missing, one she chewed the face off again like she did the first time. I just... was so shocked. At 2-3 days it's one thing.. but 2 weeks?!

I sent her off to be a pet with instructions that she was not a good mother. Good riddance. She earned her name. "Badness".

DaytonHillRabbits":1rerbx5s said:
Grumpy this was a doe that I had bought.

Unfortunately this doe ended up being sent off this week. She had successfully raised one litter after the last miss. She raised 4 kits, lost one that litter, beautiful healthy babies with no issues..

I bred her back to repeat the cross and.. I could kill her.. She had 5 magpie marked kits, beautiful gorgeous babies.. at the 2 week mark I went out to feed and check up on everyone and she had massacred her entire litter. All dead. Legs and ears missing, one she chewed the face off again like she did the first time. I just... was so shocked. At 2-3 days it's one thing.. but 2 weeks?!

I sent her off to be a pet with instructions that she was not a good mother. Good riddance. She earned her name. "Badness".

I would have butchered that B!%@#...... at two weeks, she seriously had an imbalance.

I'm still so shocked and disgusted with her.. my hubby said "You could try her again... she did raise one litter ok." I said "That little witch will never get another shot in my shed... if she isn't picked up TONIGHT she's going to the freezer." He said I was being too rash, but... he didn't have to walk into the bloodbath for the second time!

She wasn't a nice doe anyways, she was snarly and hateful most of the time, unless she wanted bred, but then she'd kill her babies. Nope.

Now I have her sister due the end of this week and I'm terrified she's going to be the same. She is WORSE to deal with (she will actually target and attack me when filling her feed dish etc), but I bred her before Badness had done this to her litter.. this is the Sister (Clover) first time being bred, and she's just so much worse since the mating! I know that's not unusual with first timers, etc.. hoping she's a better mother at least. I can deal with testy does, but I can't handle walking into a massacre anymore. I replaced Badness with a beautiful little Netherland I'm hoping gives me better luck. Here's hoping.

Well, the sister birthed out 4 babies... I'm not sure how well she's going to do, but she didn't lose any so far, and is keeping them covered and warm.. I believe she's fed them as well as they look less wrinkled than they did when I found them and took the picture..

Wish me luck with this doe!

Attachments

• clover.jpg
    clover.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 1,898

Latest posts

Back