Seresia Lespedeza?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thunderlanefarms

Reaction score
This is a great site....I found this site from the feeding rabbits naturally site at Homesteadingtoday.com which also has some great info, but that site lead me to this one which is also great :D Seems that everyone from that place has migrated over here so I'm going to post the same post here and maybe someone knows.....first a bit about myself.

I grew rabbits commercially back in the late 80's and early 90's and sold to Pel Freeze which I believe is still the largest rabbit producer in the U.S. Had about 125 does at one time. Only fed commercial pellets.

All this came crashing down (literally) in February of 1993 when we had an 18 inch wet snow storm and my rabbit barn, which was 28 x 50, collapsed under the weight of the snow with over 500 rabbits inside. Before you panic too much, we actually did save nearly all of the rabbits, but what a nightmare over the next month, trying to keep them alive in another barn in a colony setting and in another location with some makeshift and salvaged cages, till we could finally grow them big enough to sell out and butcher the rest. Anyway, after that, I swore I would never touch a rabbit again!!!

But in the last year or two, I've been thinking about getting just a few for our own meat purposes.... we also have a couple horses, pigs, chickens, dogs,cats and ducks...... and I sure do miss that rabbit manure on my garden also.

This is some great information and I think I have just about every plant mentioned here around my 100+ acres, so I'm sure I would go this route when raising again.

One thing we do have a lot of around here that I haven't seen mentioned is Sericea Lespedeza.. also known as Chinese bush Clover..... Goats eat it great..... Cows will only eat it as a hay, but how would the rabbits do on it both fresh and dried. Has anybody fed it? I know it gets a bit stemmy when mature and does have quite a bit of tannin at that point, but young and tender the tannins are lower, and not supposed to be as bad either when dried as hay. It is a noxious weed in several states....grows here by the ton and would be easy to collect. I'm sure the young plants would be much better than the older stemmy plants. I actually found a study that shows it is OK and was fed to rabbits....just wondered if anyone else was feeding it and how their rabbits were doing with it. Here is a link to the study.

http://etd.auburn.edu/etd/bitstream/han ... sequence=2

Here are links to a couple pictures:
Young plants: http://www.hrwc.net/images/invasiveplan ... edeza1.jpg

Older Plants: http://dnr.wi.gov/topic/Invasives/photo ... 55&spec=21

Distribution Area and more info: http://oklahomainvasivespecies.okstate. ... edeza.html

Thanks so much again for all the great information. Hope to be a contributor soon, rather than just someone who is absorbing all your great info.

Lee

From what little I know about lespedeza it is similar to alfalfa. Are you planning on cutting it for hay and feeding the hay to the rabbits? I don't think it would be a problem to feed it as a supplement, but not as a sole feed.

Planned on feeding it both dry and as a fresh food. Definitely want to feed a variety, but it sure does grow here better than alfalfa. Seems to stand acidity soils much better. Looks like it could be a great free food.

I do not know about the plant. But
Welcome! Glad you found us, and that you are getting back
into rabbits, if even in a small way.
:welcomewagon:

Welcome to RabbitTalk, Lee! :welcome:

I couldn't find much about rabbits and Sericea lespedeza. I did find a reference to cottontails eating "Korean clover" but I don't know if it is the same plant because it did not give the Latin name.

Then I found this site:

http://www.fs.fed.us/database/feis/plan ... n/all.html

There is a lot of information there so I have quoted the part I think may be helpful. Generally speaking, if cottontail rabbits will eat a plant, I consider it safe for domestic rabbits.

IMPORTANCE TO WILDLIFE AND LIVESTOCK:
Wildlife: Sericea lespedeza has been characterized as valuable wildlife food and cover [6,63,65]. Foliage is eaten by white-tailed deer, rabbits, and wild turkeys [125,159], and seeds are eaten by birds and rodents [56,159]. According to Sheldon and Causey [140], sericea lespedeza is a "good deer food", and in southeastern Kentucky, sericea lespedeza was common year-round in the diets of reintroduced elk [134]. Grasshopper sparrows and meadowlarks nest in sericea lespedeza [38].

In the southeastern United States, sericea lespedeza plantings have been recommended for wildlife, especially northern bobwhites [151]. Benefits of these plantings, however, have not always been realized. Northern bobwhite sometimes feed on sericea lespedeza seed in the Southeast, particularly in late spring when native food sources are scarce [152,153]. Northern bobwhite have also been observed rejecting sericea lespedeza seed in these same areas [154]. Davison [38] indicates that although sericea lespedeza seeds may be eaten by northern bobwhite, it is probably of little importance as a food source, at least in the "deep south". In a controlled feeding study, northern bobwhites fed sericea lespedeza experienced "critical" weight losses. Researchers expected that during severe winter conditions, sericea lespedeza would only sustain northern bobwhites a few days [120]. Over time, sericea lespedeza plantings can become thick and "rough", particularly on "rich lands". Frequent fire is suggested to maintain quality northern bobwhite habitat. Without fire, sericea lespedeza thickets become "havens" for hispid cotton rats and other "objectionable" rodents [151]. Dimmick [40] implied that dense sericea lespedeza stands are poor nesting habitat for nesting northern bobwhite.

Sericea lespedeza has fallen out of favor as a wildlife plant. While there are examples of wildlife utilizing sericea lespedeza, research supporting its importance is lacking [32,125]. Vogel [170] reported that sericea lespedeza is "considered low in value for wildlife by most biologists". Moreover, food and cover are also provided by native plants, or even nonnatives that are not invasive. Where sericea lespedeza is invasive (see Impacts below), it can limit the establishment and growth of other plant species, particularly natives, that provide a diversity of food and cover for a variety of native wildlife [125].

Livestock: Sericea lespedeza was introduced as a hay and pasture species in the eastern United States from around the 1920s to 1940s [5,110,125]. Although its subsequent use as hay and forage has apparently not been widespread, there are still contemporary advocates for its utilization (e.g., [5]). Sericea lespedeza was a recommended pasture species in the southeastern United States in particular, where its deep rooting habit allowed for growth and survival through summer droughts [65,133]. Root growth of sericea lespedeza in acid soils is less inhibited than that of alfalfa (Medicago sativa) [87], and sericea lespedeza hay often cures more rapidly than other common hay species [65]. In addition to cattle [64,65,125,133], domestic goats graze sericea lespedeza [51]. Using livestock to control sericea lespedeza is discussed in the Biological control section below.

A number of sericea lespedeza cultivars have been developed, such as 'Arlington', 'Serala', 'AU Lotan', 'AU Donnelly', 'AU Grazer' and 'Interstate', for low-input cattle forage and other uses [5,65,110,117,133]. Stems on these plants are generally shorter, finer, leafier, and more numerous than those of common sericea lespedeza [65,110]. Many of these cultivars were developed with the intent to create a more palatable forage, with lower levels of undesirable tannins (see Palatability and/or nutritional value below) [5,115,117].

Palatability and/or nutritional value: While sericea lespedeza has been promoted as a hay and pasture species [5,110,125], it often produces low-quality forage. Sericea lespedeza contains condensed tannins that can reduce digestibility [159]. Grazing and haying are generally limited to young and tender plants (<12-18 inches (30-46 cm) tall) [65,167,170]. Shoots become tough and fibrous with age. As plants mature, protein contents and leaf:stem ratios decrease and tannin contents increase [65]. Palatability of sericea lespedeza decreases for wildlife and cattle after midsummer [37], but the height to which shoots retain palatability is positively related to site fertility [65]. Persistence of the previous season's dead stems can discourage grazing (Koger and others 2002 cited in [44]).

Researchers evaluated the composition of sericea lespedeza from the Appalachian Foothills, the Piedmont Plateau, and the Coastal Plain regions of Alabama. Nitrogen averaged 23.9g/kg, neutral-detergent fiber was 560 g/kg, acid-detergent fiber was 386 g/kg, lignin was 139 g/kg, and cellulose was 242 g/kg [15].

Another link, but pertaining mainly to goats.
http://www.permies.com/t/3285/critter-c ... -as-forage

:hi:

Welcome to Rabbittalk! I'm glad you found us! :)

I'm in CA, and have never seen nor heard of Chinese bush clover. I have an untested theory that "if goats can eat it, rabbits can too", but I was without any "experimental bunnies" to test foods out on for a while. I now have some that are going to be culled from my program, so I will be testing out a couple of plants that I have been feeding the goats this season.

Sorry to hear about your disaster in '93! What a terrible experience! But it just goes to show that while Raging Rabbitosis may go dormant for a time, you can never get rabbits out of your blood once you have been bitten! :mrgreen:

I'm sure that having had such a large herd in the past, that we will all benefit from your prior experiences, and I look forward to your input! :)

I realize it is many years later now since this post was first published but we have seresia lespedeza in abundance around Cabool, MO. I never considered feeding it to my rabbits until I was reading an article from Countryside this morning and it spoke of it as a supplement. I decided to do some research on it and found this forum thread.

I was wondering if Thunderlanefarms had decided to experiment with it. I did also notice that the links on the studies were at this time dead links.

I did try using this for feeding of our Coturnix quail and had fair success. Also, we have several large thriving coveys of Bob White quail on and around our property. I suspect this is what they are eating because of the amount of seed this plant produces.

Unfortunately, Fishberry, the member Thunderlanefarms never posted again on RabbitTalk. Sometimes people join only to ask a specific question and then don't bother to come back. You could try to send Thunderlanefarms a private message, but the chances of receiving a reply are probably small.

Latest posts

Back