Surprising Newborn Kits

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ferra

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
Hello everyone.

I have a new litter of rabbits today, and my newborn kits are, uh, not what I was expecting. I was hoping to draw on the experience of the group here and ask if anyone has seen kits born with similar color patterning to this:

B1OD1-1.jpg

The background is that these little guys are out of a Black Otter doe and a REW buck.

The buck has had one other litter with a Blue Silver Martin Doe (suspect at_ B_ Cchd c dd E_) and thrown Chinchilla, Black Silver Martin, Self or Self-looking-steel, and REW. So he doesn't appear to have any odd recessives of his own. I am thinking he may be an Aa B_ cc DD __ or an A_ B cc DD Es_. Still not sure about that "self" kit I have.

This is their dam's first litter, so I don't know much about her genetics, but visually she is at_ B_ C_ D_ E_

None of the parents are broken, to my knowledge. At least, the buck did not throw any broken kits in his last litter. The doe shows no broken marks.

I'm wondering if someone is "ej", and I have "ej e" kits, or if this is what heavily nestbox-frosted Himalayan could look like (so ch c). I've never seen newborns with either combination though, so for now, I'm stumped!

Where did these speckly bunnies come from?! Out of a litter of 8, I appear to have five of them!

My mind is blown.

I thought the ch c to be more likely - the dam's maternal grandmother was, supposedly, a Californian.

How on earth did I get the most genetically surprising meat mutts ever... Mithril's kits were all adorkable little chinchillas, but otherwise unremarkable... and now my second litter has harlequins?!

The fun just doesn't stop around here!

(Hrm. So maybe the Sire is ee, and my doe is E ej? That might explain the frequency of this pattern in the litter. And I guess his first litter could be explained by my blue silver martin being EE, as there were no non-extension or harlequin colors there.)

Back