Odd crusties on eye

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anntann

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
I know there was another thread (or two) about a bad eye, but the only one I found was about an unformed eye. This is not the same, and I need some advice, pretty please.

Angora kit, 8 weeks old. The other day I noticed that she had her left eye shut, and it was crusty. I figured some sort of injury maybe? Soaked her eyelid with warm water and removed the crusties. (she's white, the crusties are just your run of the mill light tan color...not heavy, just...crusty) Her eye opened okay, but not as full open as the other eye.

This morning, it's starting to get crusty again and is closing. The lid is definitely pinky/inflamed looking, but the eye itself seems to be okay.

Help?

Try chamomile or black tea. Apply with the tea bag while warm. Sometimes this really helps, sometimes not. Be careful not to rub the eyelid... just kind of hold it in place like a poultice for a few minutes. Some people add honey to the tea.

could be hair turned in to the eye ball. Carefully clean it and then check it gently. Trim back hair and see what you see.

This time of year, several of my rabbits have allergies and are getting eye drops to prevent crusty/runny. Regular clear eyes for allergies or something of that sort may help. Worth a shot, anyway.

Seems to be better after a day of on and off tea bags. The eye still isn't as open as the other one, but that might take a couple of days, I'd think, if it's swollen or something? I didn't find anything in the eye.

I'll try the eyedrops if she's still got problems in the morning. I'm wondering if she got poked in the eye with a hay stem perhaps.

Thanks for the help, guys :)

She may have got poked with a bit of straw... or just got a bit of something in the eye and then rubbed it with her paw trying to dislodge it. Glad its looking a bit better after the tea.

Back