I Got Cheated in a Stud Breeding: Help?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OldEnglishSilvers88

Reaction score
I own the buck. Purebred Silver Fox.

My relative (relative through law) asked if she could borrow my buck in an exchange for half the litter back to me. The doe had 5 kits. She said I can keep 3. Well, now she says only 1! :evil: Even worse, we did 3 breedings for half the litters back. Other 2 does haven't had kits yet. She now says 1!!

How do I handle this?

Tell her she cannot change the contract now that she's thought it over

I will say that 1/2 the litter as stud fee seems a bit excessive and something I'd never agree to.

Consider the logistics - your buck just provided the sperm while she's got to do a month of feeding a pregnant doe and 8 weeks feeding the doe and kits - that can add up quickly

To avoid these issues in the future, I'd pay cash for a stud fee - the price of one kit so $40 to $100

I'd be pissed too!

Repeat what the agreement was.
Maybe you misunderstood and it is 50% of all three litters, not each litter......

If she pushes back.
FINE... take what you can get.

Live and learn.
Write out a contract and have any future breeding documented and signed by both parties.
Withhold any pedigree information until contract is fulfilled.

And if she asks you for anything.... anything at all.... NOPE!... She can't be trusted.

I would just charge her a breeding fee of say fifty bucks for each doe bred. Then if a doe does not catch you will have it rebred. Way easier, and you end up with money in your pocket, that you can choose what to do with. I paid fifty to one guy that let me use his buck. I got the good end of that deal. My doe had 12 kits!

I'd also go with flat out stud fees in the future.
From my experience, agreements in writing and clear cut deals do TONS to reduce drama and tension in families.
As much as we'd LIKE to trust our families, just don't. Life interferes. Something always happens... It doesn't work out, and the loss of the relationship is a lot worse than the loss of a few rabbits.

Personally, I would take the pick of the litter, consider it a lesson learned, and put everything in writing in the future. For me, it wouldn't be worth the bad blood between relatives. After all, it isn't like you are out something. In the dog world, typical stud fee is either a $ amount or pick of the litter, not 1/2+ of the litter.

Stinks but like others said, there's reason why there are written contracts.

Rather than argue, I'd take what I could get. I would after I had my "share" in hand point out that if in the future she decides she would like to do 50% again, it will need to be written out so she can't change her mind as she's done this time. Don't argue, don't validate what she has to say and leave it at that. Saying any thing cross to her now could get you to a point where she won't give you ANY...I've had it happen ugh what a nightmare. Even if she is handling most of the work, that's not what was agreed to. I guess I'm rather passive aggressive though.

My dad always told me and my brothers most lessons cost money! This one is going to cost you bunnies. I've loaned a buck a couple times never charged them anything but they were good friends and my buck didn't mind :lol: But if I did make a deal and they backed out I would say so I can pick one rabbit and when they say yes take there doe! :2guns: or tell her to just keep them and call her some her some bad names. Doesn't sound like you send each other Christmas cards anyway. Good Luck!

Latest posts

Back