My husband's brilliant idea...

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
At least, I thought it was a good one.

I like a colorful flock of chickens, but with that I often lose track of when I got which one(s). He said if it were him, he would buy a different breed each year so he could know exactly how old each one is.

Why didn't I think of that??

Now, my broodies hatching out their own mutt chicks puts a wrench in that plan, but I still thought it was a great idea!

Zass":1kcnfowv said:
That's one way to do it. :D
They make leg bands to ID chickens too:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/2816783844 ... noapp=true

That requires effort :lol:

Although, I probably should start keeping better track... just for those rare times it would be nice to know (I purged out a number of my older hens last year and accidentally mixed up an older hen and a young, new layer... :doh: )

__________ Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:20 pm __________

Or there's these :shock: :lol: :roll:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chicken-Charm-P ... 1678384457 <br /><br /> __________ Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:24 pm __________ <br /><br /> I'm in a posting mood, evidently...

I might give leg bands a try... a friend and I will probably go in together on some chicks this year. Last year was my first year without any newbies and I am going to miss the strong, first year layers this summer (although I have one or two that have finally started laying after the fall molt!). I am going to go rainbow with them... red for my current batch (no matter the age, I'll just know they're older), orange for the next, yellow, etc. Roy G. Biv! Seems easy enough, right?

my grandpa was telling me that his mother would always buy a different breed every year to keep track of when she got them. it makes it pretty easy, but i would rather get a bunch of different ones (i want a fancy rainbow egg basket NOW dangit!) and band them all with different colours for each year. so yeah like this year would be red, next blue, etc etc and just have it written down somewhere which is which

at least that's my plan for the summer when we move and i can finally get me some ladies

I found leg bands a pain in the tail....
If they weren't falling off ....... they were getting too small too fast as the chicks grew.

There is a wing band system that I saw a breeder using that I think is a better solution. (quick, easy and no maintenance) - it is a bit rougher than a leg band on the chicks....... they come in different colours and you can have them customized with words (put the year on the tag?) It will be my marking of choice on chickens when I get the property to have chickens again.
I didn't find the cost bad. considering the number of leg bands I lost; it might be more affordable.

Here is a site that shows what they look like:
http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/BRKWingband.html

You can just goggle "Wing bands for chickens" to find suppliers.

Latest posts

Back