What to look for when buying quail?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am wanting to give them a try, but don't want to mess up and bring in some weird illness or anything... especially since I already have guineas and chickens. Anything obvious to look for when buying quail chicks? I found some for a decent price about an hour and a half away (the batch posted has been sold, but they are hatching more now). If I get a larger batch I can have some for meat, some for breeding (I hope!).

You'd look for the same overall health that you would look for in any bird. Try not to buy defeathered animals, pay special attention to the feet, and keep an eye out for goopy eyes or lice. You know, the usual.

__________ Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:25 pm __________

I've never actually had any get sick, although I'm sure they do. The only real problem I've seen in stock I purchased was foot injuries, scalp injuries, aggression and defeathering.

Zass":1w2zgdie said:
You'd look for the same overall health that you would look for in any bird. Try not to buy defeathered animals, pay special attention to the feet, and keep an eye out for goopy eyes or lice. You know, the usual.

That's what I was thinking, but wanted to make sure there wasn't anything quail specific I might not know about. Sounds good! I learn a little more with each adventure...

Yup, usually symptoms funny eyes, nose, "un-thrifty" looking

In my experience, quail are pretty tough. We had RI issue this fall in the chickens but the quail did great, and I hatch out 50-75 a month so there were youngsters exposed

Latest posts

Back