Super Runt *Updated Title*

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ButtonsPalace

Reaction score
So my REW doe was due yesterday but instead only continued building a nest and pulling tons of fur, well today she finally had them, and my boyfriend being the sweetheart he is brought the nest box in before she was done apparently.. To no fault of his own, he didn't know better and I didn't think to tell him... I brought the box back out and saw no kits on the ground, but when I gently massaged around on her belly I could feel another kit, I ran back in to figure out a way to get lavender or raspberry leaves, about 30 minutes later I had dried raspberry leaves from the medicine cabinet and was on my way out to give it to her. When I went out I gave her a nice chunk of dried leaves and looked around a cage again. I happened to spot a little broken kit laying on the ground moving very slowly. I grabbed the little kit and stuffed him in between my boobs, he felt like an ice cube, it was so cold after a few minutes I was hurting, I heated up a pot on low on and laid two rags in the bottom of it. I waited till it got barely warm and laid the kit down, I slowly warmed him up over what was probably 2 hours, making sure to turn him from side to side. I waited until he was warm and put him outside with mom and the other two kits, this little guy is about half the size of the other two, there was another one that was as small as this one that I presume was DOA, she had the DOA in the front of the box separate from the rest, she had this tiny one at the front corner. I'm sorry it's one long paragraph, I'm trying to eat soup, and I'm worried about this dude, I doubt he'll survive but why not give him the best chance at survival, he has an awesome mom, so the ball is in his court. I plan to bring him in and warm him up more under the heat lamp shortly because he hasn't got any warmer than when I put him out there. Sorry for calling it a he, I just don't like calling them it. I'll post photos shortly as well as measure and weigh him.

-- January 21st, 2017, 10:49 pm --

Sorry the photos are blurry, I decided to shelve these kits due to possible snow.. Dear NC, this weather, stop it. Just stop it. No more hot, cold, hot. The two bigger weigh 2.6 oz each and the smaller is 1.6 oz. could the super runt be from the lion head on his dads side?
16237630_1917244455177790_860861957_n.jpg16237963_1917244445177791_669866464_n.jpg16216222_1917243225177913_2131171399_n.jpg16237906_1917244475177788_2035170337_n.jpg16216006_1917243195177916_521766126_n.jpg

All of them look like typical kits, I see no runt. You get small ones (dwarf) and normals (no dwarf gene). Cute kits! Yeah, shelving with this wonky weather is probably a good idea. I know its rather late, but for future ref don't put a cold or cool kit back in with a warm bunch unless you are super watching...a cool/cold kit can make the others come down and in worst case kill whole litter.

I believe all three are does, and they are doing wonderful, Super Runt is doing amazing today and I will weigh them again today as well and update. Super fatty is an adventurer, she's going everywhere, Blacky is sleeping with Super Runt being super cute!
16237957_1917636991805203_2122194033_n.jpg16295410_1917637561805146_1052313573_n.jpg <br /><br /> -- January 24th, 2017, 8:09 pm -- <br /><br /> The first two days I had super runt, I really thought she and the black kit weren't going to pull through, neither were getting the huge fat bellies that the white one was, plus the white one was bound and determined to get away from the other two. Super Runt as we call her (I believe they are all three females) is thriving, she's about half the size of the other two, but she's starting to keep a belly bulge *that I've been eating well look* I shelved them the first two nights and apparently mom took the hint and decided to pull her belly and dewlap bare, I check them often to make sure they are all good and warm since it's only the three. I'll weigh them once they hit 1 week and update everyone again tomorrow with photos and then later with their weights.

Glad to hear they are doing well. I once had a tiny runt that turned out to be the largest of the litter by the time they were grown. He was smart though! Once they were eating solid foods, he went to the grain if the others were eating hay and to the hay iif the others were eating grain. Less competition and he did really well. :)

Wow, I love watching the personalities come out! I have two little REW's in my litter of 9 that's are very attentive of their siblings and LOVE grooming all of them! They suck their little toes and oh my goodness, they are just way to cute! I'll try to get an updated pic of Super Runt, as she has grown a wee bit, I'm kinda hoping she stays small, I think she'd be precious! A tiny broken black/chestnut doe she's a NZ/Chin from mom and LH/NZ/Chin on Sire's side *I had someone try to tell me she was a runt and I needed to cull immediately, I kept saying "Neither parent is a dwarf"

Back