Possible dog Pregnancy?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ButtonsPalace

Reaction score
We have a smaller (She's probably more like a small-medium sized dog) she's a Jack Russel, mixed with a coon hound (From my understanding, mom's a Blue/Red tick) well this morning she drug, and I mean drug our little Jack Russel down the hallway, yep, they were stuck together. Lemme point out.. These are not my dogs, I do not own but one dog and she's fixed.. However I live with my boyfriend and family and it's his moms dogs. I've told them this would happen, I've told them not fixing two opposite sex dogs isn't a good idea, but it seems like all things said by a 20 year old are ignored because I'm young and dumb (And that statement summarizes my hatred for people)

Now that I've told you a ton of info you probably don't care about... What are the chances of her being pregnant? They are both shelter dogs and estimated to be about 6-8 months (Female) and about a year old (male) She's been in heat for about a week, and he's been humping her leg and the such in a masturbation way, which is typical of a intact male, but apparently this morning he took it another step, and he hasn't stopped yapping since. So what are the chances? i think it's kinda funny watching things happen, like a prophecy foretold. Maybe eventually people would see I know what I'm talking about.

about as high of a chance of her being pregnant as a doe has if a buck falls off. which is to say - she's almost absolutely pregnant. a spay now would be ideal since there's not even anything noticeable in her uterus. you can always spay within the first few weeks but they may charge more if puppies have already begun to form. additionally, six months is far, far too young for pretty much any dog to have a litter. she's still a puppy herself, and the chances of her having birthing complications is incredibly high. not to mention what it'll do to her body in general - pregnancy robs resources from her which could cause growth problems as she reaches adulthood and arthritis later in her life.

i've worked with shelters for almost ten years now and i've seen this happen hundreds of times and i can guarantee that they'll more than likely they'll let her whelp them though (because PUPPIES!!!) and either realize that puppies are gross and terrible, or that they would probably sell them for $100 each and become BYBs. then you have a whole 'nother thing to deal with.

I'll be calling the low cost spay/neuter tomorrow. Like I said though I'm very unsure of her age as she came from the shelter, this is her first heat cycle however.

We've been there - done that... twice :roll: . First was our bigger dog, who was penned up while in heat. The neighbors HUGE, "free range" dog had no trouble hopping the fence :evil: . To the vet we went...

Second was a Jack Russel stray that adopted us. She had a scar on her belly so I thought "Sweet! She's already fixed!" Ha! Joke was on me. Evidently that was a c-section scar :slap: . She ended up having a litter of pups thanks to the fact that evidently a smaller male came around that could fit through the spaces on our porch railing (sheesh, one jumped a fence, another just walked through it!), but I think it was too hard on her b/c after that her demeanor changed drastically :( . She came to us with a slight limp, we thought maybe she had been clipped by a car (dingbat would go and PEE in the middle of our country, yet busy with stupidly fast traffic, road). After delivering her 7 pups her hip seemed to bother her more to the point that she started showing teeth, growling, and actually nipped a couple of times when anyone touched close to her back end :x - of course my 2 year old loved her and that was NOT a good thing, so we had to rehome her to a senior couple that was more her speed. Perfect match, thankfully!

Anyway... pregnancy is very likely. It could go either way, but if she is that young it would be best to get her spayed. Call around, pricing can vary drastically from one place to another.

I sent them a link to a low cost spay/neuter, that's the extent of my doing abilities as she isn't my dog. I hope for her she isn't.

Even though it may be too late, diaper that dog! Either one....so they can't get together. He will keep getting knotted with her until she's out, and even then some will STILL go for another 2-3 weeks. Damage like others have said is probably already done. I hope some thing gives and gets straightened out. I can't suggest termination, against personal/religious beliefs but understand if some one else choose to do that.

I'm not down with termination either, but then again if it's still early enough then, I feel like it wouldn't matter, although it doesn't look like they are going to take her.. Some people just never learn do they. It's so annoying because I'm watching both of my best friends screw up their lives over stupid men and then here's these retards screwing up a dog because they are to stupid to do the right thing.

yep, that pretty much always happens. because puppies! maybe they'll be only the second person i've encountered who realized puppies weren't worth the trouble. probably not though...90% of the time they realize they can make money off of them and breed their bitch until she drops. hopefully they at least don't do that :/ i would hate to be in your situation because people not spaying/neutering their cats and dogs is like my #1 will end a friendship over this animal-related issue lol x: i've worked with shelters for way too long to be even remotely okay with it, but i understand there's not a lot you can do. sometimes i wish i could perform the surgery myself (being a taxidermist i'm rather familiar with cutting open animals, just not so much putting them back together again..) so i could trap the uncontained animals around my house and be the speuter vigilante. quiet, unassuming rabbit farmer by day, fighting dog and cat overpopulation by night.

i actually had a family once (formerly some close family friends but not anymore lol) have an oops litter with their young great dane who whelped thirteen puppies, despite our constantly trying to help them get the dog spayed before and after her pregnancy. thirteen puppies. they were always complaining about how smelly the puppies were, how exhausted and miserable their dog seemed having to deal with them all, how tired THEY were of them all being in their house taking up space. i think one of the pups died early on and they were heartbroken. i thought surely this experience would teach them the importance of spaying their dog - a $100 spay is so much cheaper than vetting 13 puppies!

nope.

they sold every single puppy on craigslist to whoever walked up to their door, completely unvaccinated (despite me offering to do the shots at cost to help them out,) immediately at weaning (so like 6 weeks - way too young,) then bred the dog purposefully on her next heat, where she whelped fourteen. as far as i know they sold those on craigslist to whoever as well. you can make good money on puppies you haven't really had to feed yet and never gave shots to.

mm. i may or may not be a little bitter.

shazza":2b6qtwuj said:
i actually had a family once (formerly some close family friends but not anymore lol) have an oops litter with their young great dane who whelped thirteen puppies, despite our constantly trying to help them get the dog spayed before and after her pregnancy. thirteen puppies. they were always complaining about how smelly the puppies were, how exhausted and miserable their dog seemed having to deal with them all, how tired THEY were of them all being in their house taking up space. i think one of the pups died early on and they were heartbroken. i thought surely this experience would teach them the importance of spaying their dog - a $100 spay is so much cheaper than vetting 13 puppies!

nope.

they sold every single puppy on craigslist to whoever walked up to their door, completely unvaccinated (despite me offering to do the shots at cost to help them out,) immediately at weaning (so like 6 weeks - way too young,) then bred the dog purposefully on her next heat, where she whelped fourteen. as far as i know they sold those on craigslist to whoever as well. you can make good money on puppies you haven't really had to feed yet and never gave shots to.

mm. i may or may not be a little bitter.

Really??? Shots are not that expensive or difficult to administer - I did the higher end option that covered a couple more things from Tractor Supply myself and it was maybe $10 or $12/dog? Not much at all. No reason to send them off without at least having their first set, even if they are home administered it's better than nothing (in my opinion). I saved the packaging for each one to go with the pup when it was time so the new owners (pretty much all friends/family/word of mouth) knew what they had been given.

unfortunately it is SUPER common to sell puppies unvaccinated because people are too cheap to make sure they don't all die of parvo as soon as they get taken away. they kept saying they didn't do shots because they were too expensive, but that just brings me to my other favourite argument of 'if you can't afford basic medical care for an animal or its children, do not get and animal and especially do not breed it.' i could forgive the oops litter but i absolutely cannot forgive purposefully breeding her again, especially that quickly, when they already don't have much money to begin with. but puppies sell, so i guess they've just kept breeding the dog on every heat to make them money...which if you know about dogs, is a one way ticket to a dead dog. responsible breeders breed maybe three times in a bitch's lifetime because it takes their bodies so long to recover after each litter. if you breed every heat she will just give out after a few years.

some people are just too stupid to own animals.

They want to get both of the males fixed which will end her having any more from them, there aren't any dogs local or they'd be in our back yard by now. They were told that both intact male dogs (7 year old chihuahua, he's awful, I've never hated an animal more) then there's the about year old dumb arse Jack Russel. I don't understand why you would have three dogs all un-fixed living in the same residence if you don't want them to breed. James (boyfriend's step-dad) was apparently ppiiisssseeeddd when he saw them stuck together, which is so annoying, because I've been talking about my best friend who's basically in the same situation. She's pregnant and her husband apparently don't want to have kids, any kids, at all, so he's shutting down and being a complete retard. He's so rude to her and makes a mess, he hasn't bought anything for the baby and she's 8 MONTHS FREAKING PREGNANT! No crib, no diapers, she said she has a tub and a few outfits. Now mind you my best friend does have PCOS which from what her doctor said would make her unable to reproduce, which she knew wasn't right, she miscarried from her ex-fiancee and from the husband she's with now.

I guess in summary, why don't people learn? Don't people know that if they do these dumb things, that it's gonna come back and bite them?! And really hard! She's still bleeding, although I don't think it makes any difference because they are still keeping them in the same damn crate together!! Oh I don't want puppies, but I'll leave an intact male with an unspayed female in heat, that's totally how things work right, so I can leave my buck with my doe and not have any litters or mating occur either, right?, I mean according to their logic I'm very right.

that just sounds like poor communication gone horribly wrong. they really should have discussed kids before getting married...it's not fair for him to be forced to be a parent when he obviously doesn't want to be. i can understand why he doesn't want anything to do with it (i also do not want kids ever and can totally understand how he feels, i would be really upset too if i told my partner i didn't want kids then they forced me into it anyway,) even if it is frustrating that he isn't helping. if she wanted kids and he didn't they shouldn't have gotten married in the first place imo. children is kind of a big deal and both parties need to be fully on board or they're going to end up divorced anyway.

as for the dogs...at least i guess they want to get the males fixed. though honestly if i was only going to fix one sex i'd do the bitch. heat cycles are aaaaaawful. intact males are sooo much easier to deal with lol. they can be aggressive around a female and mark more than unaltered dogs, but at least they don't get horrible PMS and bleed everywhere several times a year lol.

As for my friend and her husband, she didn't know she was pregnant until she was 6 months. Her PCOS is so bad that she only has periods every so often unless she's on birth control. The pregnancy was unintended, and as I see it if he didn't want kids he shouldn't have put his dick in her, condoms were made for a reason.

As for the dogs, my understanding is they want to wait and see if she's pregnant before fixing her. They are under the impression that these dogs are going to sell for $100 or more. I said better aim more like $50, although they will be small dogs and 3/4 Jack which is a popular breed? I can't make them fix her, although, left up to me, I'd do it myself, I have the knives, just need something to knock her out and a needle with thread, there's bound to be youtube videos on how to do this, right? lol, this female is the stupidest dog I've ever met, so I'm hoping the pups are nothing like either dumb parent >3< Some people just don't understand do they?

I couldn't hand pups over to just whom ever, dad had beagles so know a bit. Thought about a litter from my aussie, love how she is temper wise and that she holds rabbits and does other things for me. BUT I know its a ton of work...plus I am VERY picky about stud. Dad started the pups worming at 2 weeks, shots, basic commands, and pad trained....they were purebred and sold for 150.00 each. He only had 2 litters, kept what he wanted...when his fav male passed he decided not to continue working with but to keep the girl he'd held back for a pet. I know between the wormer/shots/toys/replace of destroyed things he was still in the red at that. This was before WV added a lemon pet law. If nothing else scares them, you might look into that. If a pup you sell is sick or has a genetic problem some states hold the BREEDER responsible for vetting, medication, return of purchase fee, and more. They don't get the dog back but are responsible for fixing/replacing at the buyer's choice. Areas differ, but might be leverage.

If they don't do some thing, they'll breed again...they won't just breed once they'll breed every chance they get and both males can be dads to the litter. A litter can have multiple fathers, so if there's 15 pups...each pup while unlikely but not impossible can have a different dad.

I feel sorry in some ways, some times a person gets treated poorly so much they think its normal or they aren't worth any more than that. I hope things change for her and the baby on the way for the good :( Unfortunately some times it takes ugly to make some one see they are worth more.

Latest posts

Back