Corn in feed

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

REDMIST

Reaction score
I have been using southern states 16℅ commercial rabbit feed for a year with good results. The last two bags had significant amounts of corn in the pellets. Is corn bad for Rabbits? I raise polish and silver fox. I have limited options for feed. I am able to get several different ones from southern states but all are made by them and are higher protein percentage. Around 18. I can go to blue seal at 17℅ but really didn't like the quality at the store. I plan on talking to southern states to see why there is so much corn and if this is a one off run. Need some help and guidance. The corn is in pellet and enough to have noticed it.

Corn is not good for your rabbits. It can cause digestive issue leading to impaction and you can loose you rabbit. The hull of the corn cannot be digested.

Do you have a Walmart around there? Small World feed (Wally World brand name) is made by Manna Pro and has no corn.

Corn also packs fat on rabbits, which can interfere with breeding. Purina pellets have corn as an ingredient. I don't lose kits to enteritis on them, but my does have to be watched closely and bred young to avoid fat accumulation.

Often a lot of corn not in the pellet is not the fault of the brand owner. It's the local mill where it's made. They run corn through the machine to clear it of stuck particles or to make a livestock mix and if they are not responsible about how they clean it the extra corn left in the machine goes into the next bag or so of pellets. Some can't use manna pro despite it's no corn promises because the bags are just full of corn from whatever mill was making the feed. The company may not be able to do a whole lot when the problem is on the local level unless they have another mill to choose from in the area. If you have a frequent reason to travel sometimes just buying in a different town may fix your problem depending again on how many mills you have around making feed.

Latest posts

Back