Crazy NC Weather

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Last week at this time? Prepping for an unknown amount of snow... although we ended up with more ice/sleet than anything (15 miles north of us had quite a few inches more than us, my parents got 8-12" which is a pretty heavy snow for our part of the country). Single digit temps and below freezing for 4-5 days straight which is unusual for us. Things finally thawed out mid week.

Now? Outdoor thermometer (in the sun, so a bit higher than actual temp most likely) is reading 78*F. Windows are open, breeze is blowing. Feels (and in a way smells) like spring. That's a 73*F swing from just a few days ago. Showing a high of 46*F tomorrow :roll:

We got about 6 inches here, nothing bad, but on Saturday? night the windchill was -18!! Mind you I live in the downstairs with no heater of any sort, and you can see the sunshine in the morning through the cracks in our door, we hung a sheet but in the morning it felt to be around 3 degrees in my room.. Way too cold! and now today it was in the high 50's low-mid 60's the past two days. Of course I had a first time mom due the day after the snowstorm and a proven mom due after all the snow is gone SMH

I just looked up our local, NWS marine forecast... "CONDITIONS OVER THE COASTAL WATERS WILL REMAIN PRIME THIS WEEKEND FOR BOATERS GETTING OUT AND ENJOYING THE UNSEASONABLY WARM WEATHER..." :D
It's tempting, but there's too much that needs doing around the house. :|
We'll be in the upper 70s-low 80s for the next few days. We did have a 39F sunrise a week or so ago. First time in the 30s so far this winter, and within our "normal" winter temperature range. It seems like our cooler weather is coming a little later every year. It used to be cool around the holidays. Lately, it isn't until February, and it lasts in to the beginning of April. :hmm:

No kidding...I ended up with 7.5" and had two first time does due last Saturday. They both ended up kindling Sunday night when the ambient low was 8 degrees. One had her kits outside the nest and I spent almost two hours warming them up after I found them. Still can't believe all six made it!

And now, a week later, adults are stretched out hot in their cages and the kits are crawling out of the nest because it's too hot! I turned the fans on in the rabbitry yesterday...in January...really???

Latest posts

Back