rex rabbits

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

karenl

Reaction score
OK we are being given a rabbit its a Rex can people give me any info about Rex rabbits we breed mini lops so have rabbits but I don't know anything about this breed.

They have narrow hind feet that can get sore hocks easily. Avoid thin wire cage bottoms. Give them something they can rest on without too much stress on their feet bottoms.

i have rexes and yeah that's probably the biggest thing is to make sure they don't get sore feet. some people keep them exclusively on solid bottoms, some have large solid resting areas for them. i personally haven't had good luck with solid floors in rabbit cages, so i actually have about 3/4ths of my cages covered with resting mats with the slots in them so poop falls through. my rabbits were getting dirty with solid resting areas. so far i haven't had any foot issues with my rex!

other than that they're pretty easy to keep. they don't require grooming (and brushing can actually damage the fur,) and they have supermodel looks in my opinion. the fact that you'll always want to be touching that amazing fur means they're pretty easy to keep tame too ;P congrats!

We raise them too. I like them really well, a good duel purpose rabbit, famous for its mink like buttery plush fur. They are a commercial type and have good meat to bone ratio. They are showy, and the does are usually good moms, that don't mind if I check the kits often.

There's a genetic component to sore hocks too (genetics control the thickness & strength of foot fur, the foot size, the temperament of the rabbit, all which control how likely it is to get sore hocks). Wire floors aren't as common in NZ, but I'd still try hard to find ones who family & relatives all have perfect foot bottoms - no missing fur or signs of sore hocks. They're less hormonal than mini lops and easier to groom (their fur doesn't mat or collect feces in it easily), but they are much larger (in America, our mini lops are bigger than yours, so American mini lops are closer in size to rex), and eat more. They also don't get teeth problems as easily as BRC mini lops, and have larger litters - except for sore hocks they are generally a healthy breed.

You can put ceramic tiles in the hutch for them to sit on. I get a box at Menards and they were less than a dollar each. They are twelve inches square, and have a shiney surface. If they get dirty you can just hose them off or set them out so the rain rinse them off. I have not had a single problem with feet using them.

Latest posts

Back