Day 12 and eyes still closed - what should I do?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chelw114

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I have a 12 day old litter of Holland Lops that still have their eyes closed. I've read that kits normally open their eyes somewhere between day 10-12. Should I be concerned that not a single one has open eyes? I've checked for crust and handle them several times a day so I know they weren't open before and then sealed shut. What should I do? I obviously don't want them going blind or having any damage to their eyes.

Isn't this fun? Seriously just wait. It sounds like they're healthy. Bet you they start to open Sunday. My Flemish Giants take 14+ days to open then it's a whole new world. :)

Homer":2wz2wbpw said:
Isn't this fun? Seriously just wait. It sounds like they're healthy. Bet you they start to open Sunday. My Flemish Giants take 14+ days to open then it's a whole new world. :)

Lol It is definitely fun but I still have so much to learn. I'll give them another few days and see what happens.

This last litter all but one open on the 14th day. The other went to 16 days and need a little help to get it open.

Well all eyes opened on day 13 so I guess there was nothing to worry about after all. :)

Thanks for sharing the good news. And just remember this gets easier as you gain experience. At first every little thing is nerve-wracking. And of course it isn't always easy to know when to wait and when you need to respond before things get worse.
Enjoy those kits. My favorite time is the first couple weeks after the eyes open and they come out of the nest box.

Latest posts

Back