Fur-pulling in a NON-pregnant doe

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HOWsMom

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
My wee mini-rex doe, Mischief, who is about 10 months of age, and is definitely *NOT* pregnant - never been exposed to a buck at all, who has pulled fur like crazy in the last 24 hours !

No nest, it's just all out under the bottom of her cage. Quite odd to see.

What is she doing ?

My guess is that shes wishing she was pregnant and having some hormonal issues:) Interesting tho. But I have had does go thru a false pregnancy and pull hair, its just usually after they have at least been mounted by a buck.

shazza":ncfxaknb said:
now would be a great time to breed her if you can ;3

I have 1 pregnant doe now, and not enough space to keep 2 litters.
So while it would be good from a biology stand point, it would not be a responsible move for me.

Besides, she's really long through the shoulders, and apparently has a "pinched" hind end - not great traits to pass along.

I had one doe who was very much the same, before I got her she would pull fur every time another rabbit was kindling, although she'd never been bred.

I also had a doe that pulled fur on compulsion. She would eat it mostly, and I had to constantly watch her for hairball, though somehow she never did get any. Her dewlap was constantly naked, litter or no. I was just selling her kits since she was a dwarf and they were too small to have any meat value, but that got tricky when she started pulling their fur too. Leaving any past weaning age was a disaster, although she was a wonderful mom otherwise.

I had one black eight week old doe I was supposed to meet someone after work to sell, and during work momma decided to give the little doe a haircut. She plucked between her eyes on her forehead and up to her ears completely bald. I was so happy the buyer was understanding and still wanted the rabbit when I called her and explained the situation. I was afraid she might suspect fur mites or mange! That doe is now in happy retirement at my mom's house as a pet. Oddly enough she's stopped self plucking too, though I never could relate it to her being bred or having kits.

Back