Infected eye-best course of action?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

macksmom98

Reaction score
One of our meat pen buns had a swollen eyelid a couple of days ago, and it has gotten worse. Today it was more swollen and had gunk oozing. I went to our local tractor supply and bought some Pen G and put two drops into the eye, like you would eyedrops. I have used this in the past and it has helped. Any other suggestions? Ideas on what could have caused it? I am thinking something as simple as a nail catching the eyelid when grooming could have caused it. I have isolated it and am keeping it in a smaller carrying cage so it is not able to run it into as much or its siblings don't hurt it worse. It looks like it has scratched it since I treated it, and now has a little scab forming on it. Hoping to get it healed in 2 1/2 weeks so my daughter can take it to the fair. Its our best one out of the whole group, would be a shame if we cant get it healed in time, but I am not holing my breath.

Better note, we had a litter of Hollands born this weekend, on the coldest night we have had. 2 made it, 2 didn't, but at least we got 50%:)

Terramycin ointment works good for eye infections, but I'm not a vet or expert so I can't really say much.

Like neosporin? Ok, that's what I am going to do! I will probably order the Teramycin too. It has a lump about the size of a pea, or slightly smaller that is right next to the eye. I don't see anything running out of it today. I did try to push on it some but not much luck and he didn't like it. Anyway, it seems to be a little reduced from what I did last night with the chamomile wash and the pen g, but not as significant as I had first thought. It looked a lot worse tho last night, so I am also glad to see it looks a little better.....

Thanks! I got some today:). It will not hurt the eye if it gets in it? Of course I will put some on the lid. Poor thing scratched it pretty bad last night, but I caught him and put a compress of very warm water on it and did the tea flush and neo and it's not worse this morning.....hoping 2 weeks will be long enough for him to heal! He is for sure our best grow out!

It won't hurt him if you put it right in his eye. I always use it if I'm out of Terramycin.

As for re-scratching the area you can really make him mad for a few days. Put baby socks on his feet and wrap them with tape so they stay on. :x It will only take a few days of that to get him by it. :twisted:

Back