Register

Seed starting help/ideas?

Off-topic Discussions, Member News, Funny Stories and Jokes.
Site Supporter
Canada
BunnyBucks: 489.00

Re: Seed starting help/ideas?

Post Number:#16  Unread postby Ferra » Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:57 pm

heritage wrote: What tyoe of onions do you grow? I am wanting a sweet onion since that's the only way I can eat them (rarely raw, quite often cooked)... I buy mostly vidalia in the stores. Not sure if I need short day, long day, intermediate?? :shock:

I was watching a lovely, nerdy cooking show years ago, (cough-cough-good-eats), and they mentioned that part of the 'magic' per se of the Vidalia and other sweet onions is the soil they're grown in. The area is deficient in sulphur, which the onions use to produce their sulphiric-acid generating defense compounds.

A sweet variety grown in normal soil will probably be pretty good, but might not live up to the sweetness you expect from the true Vidalias because of the sulphur thing.

Site Supporter
2 years of membership2 years of membership
United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 10,803.00

Post Number:#17  Unread postby FourRingCircus » Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:02 pm

Ferra wrote:
heritage wrote: What tyoe of onions do you grow? I am wanting a sweet onion since that's the only way I can eat them (rarely raw, quite often cooked)... I buy mostly vidalia in the stores. Not sure if I need short day, long day, intermediate?? :shock:

I was watching a lovely, nerdy cooking show years ago, (cough-cough-good-eats), and they mentioned that part of the 'magic' per se of the Vidalia and other sweet onions is the soil they're grown in. The area is deficient in sulphur, which the onions use to produce their sulphiric-acid generating defense compounds.

A sweet variety grown in normal soil will probably be pretty good, but might not live up to the sweetness you expect from the true Vidalias because of the sulphur thing.

Interesting! I got some italian types that were supposedly on the sweeter side, easier to braid for storage, and smaller. I don't use huge amounts at a time so that's not a bad thing for me.
Formerly known as "heritage" :)

Homeschool mom of 4 little ones - 9, 8, 6, & 4!

Our Four Ring Farmstead journey will be on hold for a few years as we take on a new adventure in WV! Maybe a new focus on gardening in a cooler climate...

Site Supporter
2 years of membership2 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 13,330.00

Post Number:#18  Unread postby alforddm » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:24 pm

I found some florescent grow lights at walmart today. They were cheap and 2 ft long so I got 2 of them. I hope they do ok starting the seedlings.

Previous