Are there meat differences in different domestic breeds?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

karebru

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
Not growth rate, bone ratio, etc. but flavor, texture... those kind of things.
I haven't eaten wild rabbit, but the meat I've seen is darker than cage raised. I assume that's because of activity level and maybe, diet.
As far a domestic breeds go, is New Zealand meat any different from, say, Florida White?

I can tell the difference between wild and domestic rabbit quite easily. However, I don't think I could ever determine any difference in different breeds. I've raised 5 different types and can't say one was better or worse than the others, tastewise.
There are probably others who have a more finely tuned and delicate palate than I do, though. I'm always amazed when I see folks get excited over different wines. It's all just fermented grape juice to me!

Rabbitdog":1coui9l4 said:
I'm always amazed when I see folks get excited over different wines. It's all just fermented grape juice to me!

I'm with ya there! :p DH seems to be more finely "tuned" than I am, especially when it comes to wine... I mean sure, there's some that I like a little more than others, but I've tried finding the notes of "berry" or "oak" or what have you in some of the fancier wines... nope, that is not what I taste. Just wine to me. :oops:

I've heard people debate the taste of rabbit differing between breeds on Facebook before, but my thoughts are that it probably has more to do with different diets than different breeds. A rabbit raised solely on pellets will probably taste different than a rabbit raised on fresh forage every day. I could be wrong, but that would be my guess (speaking from experience with eggs from chickens that free ranged in the back yard vs. ate only chicken feed).
:popcorn:

Nymphadora":21zd8chi said:
Rabbitdog":21zd8chi said:
I'm always amazed when I see folks get excited over different wines. It's all just fermented grape juice to me!

I'm with ya there! :p DH seems to be more finely "tuned" than I am, especially when it comes to wine... I mean sure, there's some that I like a little more than others, but I've tried finding the notes of "berry" or "oak" or what have you in some of the fancier wines... nope, that is not what I taste. Just wine to me. :oops:
Me too! It's red or it's white, is about as far as I get... or care.
Beer?... Now that's a different story! :beer2:

I don't get past it's all alcohol. Some tastes stronger of alcohol and some is milder and that's my limit of tasting anything in wine or mixed drinks. I'll pick the alcohol out of brands of brewed nonalcoholic root beer or even this brand that uses a similar base for their orange soda. My husband insists it can't have noticeable alcohol in it but it does to me. That's all I taste in drinks which is why high quality mead was about all I'd drink and I'm not broken up I can't drink at all anymore.

Meat I am very sensitive too which is partially why each type needs a specific sauce and sometimes I can't stand brands of ketchup. Personally I think there is as much difference in individual rabbits as breed. A small change in diet even ratio of hay to pellet or increase in food intake over the seasons has more difference. Lots of greens or grains in place of pellets is probably what it would take most to notice a difference. Also wild rabbit is an entirely different species in the US. I would expect cottontail and domestic to be like comparing turkey and duck. Not the same animal even if we lump them under the same group name.

Latest posts

Back