giant angora cage size

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sireenica

Reaction score
I am looking at getting a giant angora as a wooler. It would live in my dry basement with play time on the main floor.

I am concerned about cage size.
I read they need 30x36x24 or 24x48x24
or even 30x30 and 30x36

The one I am looking at is currently being kept in a 24x30

All I can find for sale is maxing out at an 18in height.
What are the most appropriate sizes for a rabbit this large. I wanted to convert our dog crate but it seems its almost cheaper to get a full cage rather than just the wire (plus my current crate is a black painted one and used when my friend's dog gets baby sat)

There were two I really liked 30x30x18 and one with better openings that was 20x19- but that just seems too small.

Also does anyone have input on plastic vs metal drop pan? Being an angora I was told they do better being kept on wire so litter boxes are out.

places I have looked at to buy
http://www.bassequipment.com
Tractor supply

or am I truly better off building my own w PVC pipe and wire? I'm not terrible handy and tend to maim myself with things that are sharp (IE wire) http://rabbitbreeders.us/supplies/cage-wire/

I am very new to the rabbit world and would appreciate any advice.

I just found this with a 30x24x24 though I am not sure what galvanized before wire means
http://www.bunnyrabbit.com/price/wirecagekit.htm

Look at Utube for build your own rabbit cages. Then you can build want you want.

I would stick with 24x36 (bucks) or 30x36 (does and litters) honestly, they're called giant angoras for a reason. (I don't mean this as a chastisement, just a point of fact.) You could even go bigger. I have large French lines that the breeders admit may have had Giant somewhere in the far past, and my two full grown rabbits are 11 and 13 pounds, and one of my eight week olds is close to 4.5 pounds by now. His mother was also 13 pounds, so he won't be a small boy. I can't imagine them in smaller cages, they wouldn't be able to stretch out and lay down properly and their coats mat faster when they brush up against cage walls and what not all the time.

I'm not sure about the cage quality from Tractor Supply, but I unfortunately spent $25 a tray on 6 plastic 30x36 trays from them that are flimsy and warp in the heat of summer and stay that way all year round. And my cages are in the shade. Not to mention the idiot that designed them made the bottom textured, and we all know how rabbit pee dries on things when not cleaned immediately. Currently saving what I need to buy plastic Duratrays. They can be bought at most shows around my area that I know, or ordered online. They're more expensive, but they last nearly forever. Klubertanz has them, and cages, too. Metal trays work too, but it doesn't take long for the galvanized coating to wear off and they start to rust and become hard to get very clean. I know many breeders who use them and just line the trays with puppy pads and it works for them though.

That is super useful info. I don't have the bunny yet but 24x36 sounds doable. How important is cage height? Can I do the standard 18 or go all out for 24? I'm wonder if the bunnys owner is keeping him in a small cage Bc he's still growing.

My cages are 18" high and the rabbits seem to do fine. They can still stand a bit and they sit on their haunches just fine. Mine do get time to run in the yard though too. I would have made them 24 high, but I built stacks and I'm only 5'3", so I would have issues comfortably reaching the top cages. (Adding space for the trays in between cages, the bottom of the tops cage would be 4'8")

Latest posts

Back