rat breeders or any experienced with young?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akane

Reaction score
I tried mouse breeding to produce my own feeders and did not like it. Not the least of which is they smell horrid compared to my gerbils. I was not all that upset when they escaped and were found by the cats except for the fact the big male crammed under a plastic drawer until he got stuck and we spent 2 weeks trying to find that smell. Gerbils have a higher value selling to other breeders and pets since their production is low and my colors are uncommon. I have been sacrificing a few females here and there since all of them decided to have litters of females and I'm having trouble getting the size of rodents I need.

I have been debating a pair or 2 of rats instead when I bought these "fuzzies" as feeders. Normally fuzzy means still eyes closed and just furred so they are maybe the length of your finger. That is not what I got. :lol: Most are too big so I have 5 left. Some are destined for the freezer but my blood python has only had live and some never adjust beyond fresh killed, which I will try to avoid live if at all possible for ethical reasons and the safety of the snake but I may always need to start with a live rodent. It's a pain to get a hold of the rodent breeder and stop by to pick up 1 live rodent meal a week. I am debating keeping a pair of these pups. Are they old enough to wean? pics

vid of the extra female after removing what I think are a m/f pair and the ones I definitely don't want to keep but turn your volume off the puppy was wrestling with the akita
https://youtu.be/9-Bultoz5M4

I was putting them between 18-20 days since they run, groom, jump about 4-6" up, chew on things, were licking rocks holding down the paper I think in an attempt to find water, and then tore up the paper into a pile despite the rocks. I have overall animal milk replacer and goat milk. I figured at most I squirt a diluted cc in them morning and night until they get the water bottle and are eating all solid food. I don't know what water setup she has but I have the same rodent blocks. They were quite excited when I dropped a block in even if they didn't eat it much. I bought a bag from the breeder and supplement it with appropriate seeds to increase the fat content and appeal for my gerbils. Far cheaper than gerbil mix. Otherwise I can try to get in contact with her again (it took 3 weeks last time) and see if she has an adult pair to sell but in several weeks I'd have a breeding pair or close to it anyway. The other feeder seller in the area does not do live and will not sell breeders. If he thinks he's going to corner the market that way sorry buddy but there are plenty of places to get rats and mice if you really want to raise your own. I'm just trying to do it the cheap way (these were $1 each) before pet store prices. I'm not giving you my business for your lack of helpfulness and communication anyway. :roll:

Latest posts

Back