Register

**Update** Anyone want to take a guess at these colors?

A place to ask about rabbit colours and to discuss rabbit genetics -- and how to breed for the desired results.
BunnyBucks: 194.00

**Update** Anyone want to take a guess at these colors?

Post Number:#1  Unread postby Chelw114 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:53 pm

These are Holland Lop kits. The tort and broken tort are from another litter. The remaining 5 are out of a Smoke Pearl Buck carrying REW and a sable point doe.

https://goo.gl/photos/BeuVYAnPKJZhRsBc6
Last edited by Chelw114 on Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

2 years of membership2 years of membership
United States of America
BunnyBucks: 2,109.00

Re: Anyone want to take a guess at these colors?

Post Number:#2  Unread postby SableSteel » Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:02 am

I'd guess 3 sable points, 2 rews
I have shown: argente brun, Belgian hare, Britannia petite, dutch, English spot, Flemish giant, harlequin, Havana, Himalayan, Holland lop, jersey wooly, mini lop, mini rex, netherland dwarf, new Zealand, polish, standard chinchilla, tan, velveteen lop; American & coronet cavies; muffed ice pigeons, parlour tumblers, frillbacks; brahma, dutch chickens; cortunix quail
CZECH FROSTIES ARE NOT CYLINDRICAL THEY ARE JUST COMPACTS WITH A FLAT TOPLINE

Re: Anyone want to take a guess at these colors?

Post Number:#3  Unread postby Chelw114 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:30 pm

Well they still haven't opened they're eyes yet but at 11 days old it's only a matter of time. I'm debating between a sable point and a smoke pearl or 2 sable points. Come on little kits, open those eyes!

Here are the 2 in question.

https://goo.gl/photos/jawF9XE5r6XcWsgv8
https://goo.gl/photos/B3jBURyg5RWSxi3K8

7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
Canada Female
BunnyBucks: 33,046.00

Re: **Update** Anyone want to take a guess at these colors?

Post Number:#4  Unread postby ladysown » Sat Jan 14, 2017 3:46 pm

small one a sable point...the other looks like a sable marked chin.
ladysown

http://athomepets.weebly.com/
Primary Blog : http://athomepets.weebly.com/at-home-pets-blog.html
Old Blog: blogs/athomepets/

United States of America

Post Number:#5  Unread postby SableSteel » Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:20 am

It can't be sable chin, it has solid colored ears. it's either sable or sable point. I'm still leaning towards sable point (just a darker shade) with it.
I have shown: argente brun, Belgian hare, Britannia petite, dutch, English spot, Flemish giant, harlequin, Havana, Himalayan, Holland lop, jersey wooly, mini lop, mini rex, netherland dwarf, new Zealand, polish, standard chinchilla, tan, velveteen lop; American & coronet cavies; muffed ice pigeons, parlour tumblers, frillbacks; brahma, dutch chickens; cortunix quail

Post Number:#6  Unread postby Chelw114 » Sun Jan 15, 2017 4:18 pm

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for either a Siamese sable or smoke pearl. When does it become more obvious what they are?

United States of America

Post Number:#7  Unread postby SableSteel » Sun Jan 15, 2017 6:56 pm

It gets easier to tell the older they get. Siamese sables don't really have any shading as babies (this age) - more of a dark gray/born undercoat with some lighter frosted tips (is what they look like - but sables are born with dark skin, and sable points are born with pink/light skin). I bred sable & sable point Hollands (and shaded dwarfs), and almost always when a kit had dark gray shading like this, I turned out to be a sable point (usually not carrying rew). In Hollands, some sable points are caused by the cchd gene (so they'd technically be sallanders, but sable point is recognized, so everybody calls them that), which makes it even more common to see dark sable points in Hollands. I'm attaching a picture of a baby Siamese sable & smoke pearl for comparison (smoke pearl on bottom)
Attachments
16121900_807229542748603_283618379_o.jpg
16121900_807229542748603_283618379_o.jpg (84.31 KiB) Viewed 86 times

The following user would like to thank SableSteel for this post
Chelw114

Post Number:#8  Unread postby Chelw114 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:43 am

SableSteel wrote:It gets easier to tell the older they get. Siamese sables don't really have any shading as babies (this age) - more of a dark gray/born undercoat with some lighter frosted tips (is what they look like - but sables are born with dark skin, and sable points are born with pink/light skin). I bred sable & sable point Hollands (and shaded dwarfs), and almost always when a kit had dark gray shading like this, I turned out to be a sable point (usually not carrying rew). In Hollands, some sable points are caused by the cchd gene (so they'd technically be sallanders, but sable point is recognized, so everybody calls them that), which makes it even more common to see dark sable points in Hollands. I'm attaching a picture of a baby Siamese sable & smoke pearl for comparison (smoke pearl on bottom)

Thank you! That makes things clearer. Hopefully I'll get better and more confident at determining color earlier as I have more litters.