**Update** Anyone want to take a guess at these colors?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It can't be sable chin, it has solid colored ears. it's either sable or sable point. I'm still leaning towards sable point (just a darker shade) with it.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for either a Siamese sable or smoke pearl. When does it become more obvious what they are?

It gets easier to tell the older they get. Siamese sables don't really have any shading as babies (this age) - more of a dark gray/born undercoat with some lighter frosted tips (is what they look like - but sables are born with dark skin, and sable points are born with pink/light skin). I bred sable & sable point Hollands (and shaded dwarfs), and almost always when a kit had dark gray shading like this, I turned out to be a sable point (usually not carrying rew). In Hollands, some sable points are caused by the cchd gene (so they'd technically be sallanders, but sable point is recognized, so everybody calls them that), which makes it even more common to see dark sable points in Hollands. I'm attaching a picture of a baby Siamese sable & smoke pearl for comparison (smoke pearl on bottom)

Attachments

• 16121900_807229542748603_283618379_o.jpg
    16121900_807229542748603_283618379_o.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 861
SableSteel":2b9rtr59 said:
It gets easier to tell the older they get. Siamese sables don't really have any shading as babies (this age) - more of a dark gray/born undercoat with some lighter frosted tips (is what they look like - but sables are born with dark skin, and sable points are born with pink/light skin). I bred sable & sable point Hollands (and shaded dwarfs), and almost always when a kit had dark gray shading like this, I turned out to be a sable point (usually not carrying rew). In Hollands, some sable points are caused by the cchd gene (so they'd technically be sallanders, but sable point is recognized, so everybody calls them that), which makes it even more common to see dark sable points in Hollands. I'm attaching a picture of a baby Siamese sable & smoke pearl for comparison (smoke pearl on bottom)

Thank you! That makes things clearer. Hopefully I'll get better and more confident at determining color earlier as I have more litters.

Latest posts

Back