Register

Brrrrr !!!

Off-topic Discussions, Member News, Funny Stories and Jokes.
1 year of membership
United States of America
BunnyBucks: 585.00

Re: Brrrrr !!!

Post Number:#16  Unread postby Harelady » Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:44 am

Homer Lexington is about a three hour drive for me. What kind of animal auctions are we talking? If it's worth my time I could come.

Site Supporter
3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
United States of America Male
BunnyBucks: 9,277.00

Post Number:#17  Unread postby Homer » Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:09 am

You're on one side of the state or the other then, no big deal. Just some rabbits I heard about last summer. It's only 5 hours for me if I put on my lead shoe. :lol: Besides, I can go see mom too.

__________ Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:09 am __________

Gee. Only -2(f) this morning and about 6" of snow.

Is it spring yet?

Previous owner of the elusive and much sought after "Get Away With It" card.

http://bdbunnyranch.weebly.com/

2 years of membership2 years of membership
United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 6,307.00

Post Number:#18  Unread postby macksmom98 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:35 am

We are cold in South TX too! And even tho it should dip down to 29 degrees, thats much colder than it sounds when you factor in humidty:)

How are your buns handling the cold? Are they inside or outside? I am considering brining our 4-H rabbits in the house. We need them to gain weight and I bet they are using a lot of calories to try and stay warm. They ate well when we fed this morning, but if they are huddled in a corner today I dont see them wanting to feast like we need them to:) Beyond that, I know last year there were show bunnies lost to the low temps. I dont know what their housing situaions were, but I do know that it was more than one meat pen.

I am thrilled that we will get a good hard freeze though! It will definiatly manage our mosquitoes, fleas, roaches, and all other bugs better if we get a nice freeze that if we dont. I think we need at least one good one per year, and that doesnt always happen for us.

STAY WARM FRIENDS!

Site Supporter

Post Number:#19  Unread postby Homer » Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:27 pm

macksmom98 wrote:We are cold in South TX too! And even tho it should dip down to 29 degrees, thats much colder than it sounds when you factor in humidty:)

Sure it is. :P Went and saw my nephew in Houston a couple years ago about this time of year. They were in coats and gloves and we had our shorts on! :lol:

macksmom98 wrote:How are your buns handling the cold? Are they inside or outside? I am considering brining our 4-H rabbits in the house.

Mine took over 1/4 my shop years ago. I moved them into it because I was loosing my Flemish Giants to heat stroke. When winter came around I thought what the neck, leave them in a heated shop and I don't have to deal with frozen water. That and I can breed all year around. :D

Post Number:#20  Unread postby macksmom98 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:59 pm

lol-it IS cold, I promise! Its a bone chilling wet cold. My family from CO comes to visit this time of year and they also can tell the difference, so I know its not just me. I think your days in Houston were a little warmer. Its below freezing here which hardly ever happens. We come to CO and will be playing in the snow in our t-shirts when its 35 out, so I guess its what you are used to. Anything below 0 is extra cold, so you do have it worse off than us for sure, I wont debate that!

Site Supporter

Post Number:#21  Unread postby Homer » Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:36 pm

I know what you mean. Humidity here right now is a whopping 74% which is unheard of. The snow from yesterday is melting or it would be 8%. :lol:

Site Supporter
BunnyBucks: 7,980.00

Post Number:#22  Unread postby michaels4gardens » Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:25 am

We had a big snow storm again on Thursday, much more snow than forecast, [we were forecast about an inch] we got about 8 inches of snow over ice, and slush, [now it has cleared off and temps are about 8 F,]
The yard in front of the house didn't get that much [only about 1/2 inch] , so looking out I didn't see much danger in letting Tia [my daughter] drive the "suburban" [a big 4 wheel drive vehicle] home from work- I was wrong-- I got a phone call telling me that they had slid off the road and into a drainage area, - so i had to go get them in the little Toyota- . the vehicle had remained upright, and both "kids" are OK. -- I had to have it pulled out of the ditch and back up to the roadway, and now to assess the damage, will take it to a repair shop today-- OH Well-- The joys of parenthood..
Seed Garlic, http://www.Mountainvalleygarlic.com , https://www.facebook.com/Mountain-Valle ... 254347988/,
hard neck garlic varieties for fall planting.
meat-mutt rabbits, a few laying hens, and too many ducks..
https://vimeo.com/176370337?ref

Site Supporter

Post Number:#23  Unread postby Homer » Sat Jan 07, 2017 2:03 pm

michaels4gardens wrote:We had a big snow storm again on Thursday, much more snow than forecast, [we were forecast about an inch] we got about 8 inches of snow over ice, and slush, [now it has cleared off and temps are about 8 F,]

I know well what you're talking about. We were told the same thing, " only about an inch with a low of +10 degrees". I think I want to be a weatherman. After all, you don't have to be right and you never hear of one being fired! :P

Glad the kids are OK. :)

The following user would like to thank Homer for this post
michaels4gardens

Post Number:#24  Unread postby macksmom98 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:39 pm

Our oldest Holland had a litter of 4 last night, 2 made it and they are comfortably inside now. It looked like one was stretched and one got
cold, but I did try to warm the cold one with a hairdryer for 25 mins or so and couldn't bring it back. So although she looked normal I am wondering if it had others problems or was stillborn rather than dying of getting cold. Either way, she picked the coldest night of the week to kindle, we dipped down to 29 degrees and in another day or so we will be back up to 70!

Previous