My doe has been in labor for over 24hrs, advice needed!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shicara91

Reaction score
Code:
Hi, I've just joined up in this forum and I've found it very useful in the last day!!
My doe has been in labor over 24hrs... 10pm last night (Australian time) I went out to give the rabbits a cuddle, and seen she was pulling hair at this point everyone thought she was a he! So this surprised me! She was all wet down there so I instantly knew what was going on so I removed my other male! Anyway this morning there was no babies, nothing all day but she was just laying down all day on the ice bottle it's 38 degrees here so I put her cage inside and she became a bit more happy. 5pm comes round and she starts pushing, but was only making "squirting" noises... (Like when you squeeze a bath toy out and the last bit of water comes out-that noise) and only blood was coming out. So I checked her over n she had a big lump where the balls would be if she was a male... So I'm guessing it's stuck... 10pm comes n I check on her cos she's making noises... And there is this monster baby under her... Dead of course. (I can't add a picture it's to big in file size) but it was the length of my hand, wrist to middle tip and quite retarded looking. So I felt her tummy n the lump has gone but I swear I can feel more in her tummy, but she's just laying down now and eating a bit. I'm worried more is in there and they won't come out or they'll get stuck again?!... Any advice on what to do or help? We don't have TUMS over here in Australia.. I'm thinking the vet first thing in the morning? I'm just not keen on the hefty vet bill!... But I do not want to loose her! She's the most nicest doe I've ever met, shes not a bitch! And she's a stunning chocolate butterfly mini lop! And my daughter would be devastated as she lost her bunny before this one to floppsy... So I want to save this little princess if I can. I hope she makes it through the night! Especially now the monster is out! Any advice I'd really appreciate :) thanks heaps
Shicara

The only thing I can add that may help you is the fact that I have had a Doe give birth to kits 12-24 hrs apart and on two different days. So it is possible shes not done and you are correct that there may be more. The size of this one is concerning though, so if you want to try and find a vet to look at her then I would suggest you do that. Best of luck!

If you don't have tums, do you have anything comparable? You want something that will give a large dose of calcium that they generally eat willinging thus the fruit flavored tums. If you have lavender available you might try giving her some of that. It can help with labor. Raspberry or blackberry (the foliage not the fruit), and I think dandelion are all herbs you can try.

I didn't have Tums either, but I ground eggshells to fine powder and mixed that with kitchen outmeal, a few drops of oil and water added so it sticks to the flakes. Works with pellets too, a few drops of vegetable oil to make them sticky.

I can't tell it that has the same effect as Tums, but eggshells have a lot of calcium, got the idea because it is done with dogs.

Anyway, good luck.

Preitler":2kygaef4 said:
I didn't have Tums either, but I ground eggshells to fine powder and mixed that with kitchen outmeal, a few drops of oil and water added so it sticks to the flakes. Works with pellets too, a few drops of vegetable oil to make them sticky.

I can't tell it that has the same effect as Tums, but eggshells have a lot of calcium, got the idea because it is done with dogs.

Anyway, good luck.

Cool idea, Preitler!

Thanks everyone for your advice! Much appreciated! I'll take her to the vets this morning! :)

I give them some fresh green parsley. Has estrogen and can also boost milk. Good luck. I hope the vet could help her.

Latest posts

Back