Angoras Are They Worth It?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigfoot_158

Reaction score
I trying to be a homesteader the best I can on a acre of land. I am very interested in making my own things. Even though I am guy knitting and stuff similar. Are very fun to do, some of the things I have done is making fishing nets, Paracord bracelets, Fly Tying. This just some background for ya. The questions is....Are the angoras worth the work to get the 15 ounces of wool per rabbit? Or should I just buy the wool? I know opinions will vary with this and that's ok. I want as many opinions or suggestion as I can get with this subject. I realize but think it will happen if the shtf scenario happens the only way to get it is to grow your own. :)

Considering Angora goes for nearly $10 an ounce, I think it's much better to have the rabbits than to buy the fiber. Good lines can easily produce over the 16 oz mark, and don't take much time to groom unless you have a huge herd of them.. Not to mention they can be eaten just as the short haired rabbits can be. As many times as I've tried to turn away from them and get into the short haired breeds, I always find myself going back to my FA's. I can still get tannable pelts from them, but I can't get wool from the short haired rabbits. <br /><br /> __________ Wed Dec 28, 2016 3:46 pm __________ <br /><br /> Oh, and if you ever want a short haired litter so you don't have to deal with the extra hair when you butcher, you can just keep a short haired buck to breed to your Does. The angora gene is recessive.

I find them to be a great animal to raise. I too thought about just buying fiber, but, I think they're easy keepers, and so far I've only spun my weekly grooming fur, haven't had time to dip in to the shorn fiber. They just have so much, and it's always growing. Some FA can produce well over a pound of wool a year. And I find the fiber can be used for so much. In a true SHTF scenario, you have a fiber for batting, insulation, and spinning. The yarn could be turned into any number of items. The rabbits themselves produce an amazing fertilizer and if there was not a feed store available, their diet can be created from food not fit for humans, which I think is very important to consider in an end of world concept. I don't want my livestock to be in direct competition for my food source.

I feel that they are more than worth their weight. The only real issue is the time investment, as grooming IS required, and quality of life rapidly declines without it.

This is from someone who's bought out and re-homed a small french angora herd.
Lets see, that story goes something like..
I responded to an add to look at a few. Apparently, the owner had been mostly staying out of state, leaving the few rabbits she had left in the care of her teenaged to early 20's children. They were alive, clearly they had food and water, but, one the buns actually had at least an inch thick mat of hair, urine, and feces formed over the wire of his pen. That wasn't the issue though, the issue was that his own fur was MATTED INTO THAT CLUMP. He could barely move. We had to break it up and even cut some fur to get the poor animal out of his cage. His nails were a mess too, overgrown and curled sideways. :evil:

I ended up buying all of the few she had left, and re-homing them. Sweetest rabbits.

Anyway, my point is just that, although they are wonderful buns that pull their weight on a homestead, they absolutely must have that little bit of extra time expenditure of grooming and removing fur to maintain them.
Right now, as I have been working full time and struggling with depression, I'm glad I have some very easy keepers instead of high maintenance floofs.

Zass":15hcvbyq said:
Right now, as I have been working full time and struggling with depression, I'm glad I have some very easy keepers instead of high maintenance floofs.

Unlike you Zass I dont work full time just 15 hours a week. But I do struggle with depression, have for years. Even this said and only having meat mutts. I cant stand to see a dirty cage. The point of having mine in all wire cages was to keep them in a clean environment. Does my cages get dirty? Yes they do, I am no different then anyone else on that. I check on my rabbits at least 6 times a day for a year now and have not let up on it. So when I see it start to build up I get right on cleaning it up. If I am willing to eat off the floor of their cages I am happy with myself. This statement is not meant to be harsh :) I hope no one takes it that away. I also want to thank everyone so far for the info provided.

Grooming a few rabbits daily should not be a problem for me since the fur is what I want. I just want to know if the work, feed cost and tools to do the job. Is worth my investment to buy rabbits, build cages, buy the tools to take of them. I just want to buy a few rabbits due the cost of them. I see most want at least 50 dollars or more per rabbit. I just want the wool not show rabbits.

What are the Tools to take care of them? I am see special blowers, combs and such.

Well, I can say that the tools for grooming Angoras doesn't have to break the bank. And I am all about spending the least amount of $$ as I am on a limited budget!!

I bought a cat slicker brush (wire tines) for my EAs and it works great.

As for the blower, I simply use my shop vac :p it workß just fine!!

And for a grooming table, I simply used my workmate work bench with an old rug over the top to give the bun something for traction. Then I found an expanded metal topped magazine rack, circa 1940s at the local second hand shop for $10 and that followed me home to be my all-around grooming table!

You can buy dog nail clippers if you want, but people nail clippers work just fine too!

You ßhould àlso have a good pàir of scissors too, but the ones out of your tool drawer will will work just fine. And, a small pair such as the ones out of a men's grooming kit can be helpful too.

BigFoot
I have never had Angoras...
At this point in my life, I would not get them, because I do not have the time to groom them.
(My rabbitry is at a farm 15minutes from my house, I work a full time and a part time; in the summer I have a farmers market stand, Saturdays and I raise meat chickens at a friends farm too)

That being said, when I reach the point were I don't have to work my full time job, I will be looking into a breeding pair of FA and the equipment to spin the yarn.

The fact that Angora yarn will insulate while being lighter than other materials interests me greatly....
Gets me wondering if a duvet stuffed with angora fur would be a lovely and warm as I think it will..... :D

We have had our English Angora approx 6 weeks. He was born late August. We did a clear up and got 17g of wool. The current molt has provide 23g so far.

He cost $80

Catherine99, that will surely improve. My English Angora provided a 100g or more every 4 months. My current French Angora are producing about that, but is more spread out as I pluck and keep the groomed hair. With the EA I sheared, so all or nothing.

bigfoot_158":3ovqws47 said:
Zass":3ovqws47 said:

Unlike you Zass I dont work full time just 15 hours a week. But I do struggle with depression, have for years. Even this said and only having meat mutts. I cant stand to see a dirty cage. The point of having mine in all wire cages was to keep them in a clean environment. Does my cages get dirty? Yes they do, I am no different then anyone else on that. I check on my rabbits at least 6 times a day for a year now and have not let up on it. So when I see it start to build up I get right on cleaning it up. If I am willing to eat off the floor of their cages I am happy with myself. This statement is not meant to be harsh :) I hope no one takes it that away. I also want to thank everyone so far for the info provided.

You also have to remember that depression looks and feels so differently depending on the person and the severity of it. Most days I can function well enough, some days I am good to go!, other days, it's all about survival. Thankfully my husband and children are willing to step in on those bad days... bare minimum gets done, but food and water is taken care of for the critters.

I have been mulling over FAs for over a year now - totally intrigued, and after spinning my own yarn I felt even more like it was something that would for sure be in my future... like a number of others, I don't have any options around me though (at least through CL, but I don't have FB so my search options are limited). I know at this stage in life it's not much of an option though - hopefully in a year or two maybe?

Yea depression sucks. Its people that triggers mine. I also have high anxiety. The medication along zapps my energy. Its my animals that motivate me. I like getting up even on the coldest days of the year to go take of them. Beside the by products that they give. They calm me down and keep the depression to min level. :) For some animals do work for some of our illnesses and for some it does nothing for. <br /><br /> __________ Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:34 am __________ <br /><br /> I have decide the breed of angora I want. I want a giant but I am having a hard time finding some in the Cincinnati area. :(

SixGun":ocis697u said:
Giants will be hard to come by. Check the ARBA site, and also on Facebook there is an Angora sales site.

You have a lot more choice than those of in Australia. We have English Angora and they are a rare breed.

Depending on what you want the wool for, the different breeds of angora have different qualities of wool. For myself, I chose the English because it's the softest and it's not commercially grown. Which means the yarn produced from the rabbits here is higher quality than commercial angora. Which means it sells for more and faster.

Angoras can be very profitable, but there's a few hurdles to get over. First is the care and keeping of them. They must be kept on wire, anything else and you end up with a mess. Think of a mobile Swiffer collecting up all dust and debris on the ground. Depending on the breed you get, they may or may not molt. We have the molting lines of English, so they molt three times a year. When they're molting, their wool can be easily plucked off a little bit at a time (like your dog in the springtime), but that takes several hours or more versus about forty five minutes to shear them. If you're keeping them as a fiber herd and not show bunnies and they're being sheared, there is actually very little grooming involved. Right after shearing they have less hair than most rabbits and by the time it gets long enough to need grooming, it's time to shear again.

Then, after you get the wool, do you have a market for it? If you're using it for yourself, then that doesn't matter, but if you're trying to make a profit, then having a market and how you have access to that market matters. A lot of craft shops and boutiques want at least 50% commission for selling things which take a lot of the profit out of it.

There's also not that many breeders of angoras, so you can sell the offspring pretty easily. The bunny sales usually pay for the herd maintenance costs which then leaves the bunny fluff as pure profit, at least, that's how it worked around here until we started experiencing decreased litter sizes. Once we get that figured out, we should be back to pure profit on the fluff again.

bigfoot_158":1dpji0hj said:
I have been nothing in my area so far. :(

If you are looking for Giants Colleen Boyd from Touch of Bunny in MI and Emily Ashton from Ashton Homestead in OH sell Giants. I got my Giant from Emily.

Back