What type of Angora is this?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
All this woolie talk has me searching to see what, if anything, is actually available around me...

come to find out, not much :roll:

This is about 2 hours away, but not sure what type they are... with my limited breed knowledge/experience, they remind me of a lion head/woolie mix, but I have no idea. Love the coloring on him though! This person has two others listed as well. Just looking for some (lower maintenance, aka FA) fiber to play with, no showing or anything.

They don't have the fuzzy ears of an English, and there seems to be too much on the head for a French. Some kind of mix? Or are there other breeds? Or maybe I am totally mistaken about my prior observations of FA and EA.

http://charlotte.craigslist.org/for/5942246411.html

I think I remember reading that mixes can pose an issue b/c the hair can be finicky on how you harvest it - some you are supposed to "pull" (not sure the correct word) while others you have to clip them... mixes make either option difficult, correct? Or, again, am I way off base?

00S0S_euqhCkTdmoB_600x450.jpg <br /><br /> __________ Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:16 pm __________ <br /><br /> This other one she posted has a little more on the ears, so maybe some English in there? Not really what I am looking for then...

http://charlotte.craigslist.org/for/5942400044.html

And the third...

http://charlotte.craigslist.org/for/5942490121.html

Wow, the color on that first one is beautiful!!! :in_love:

I'm curious what the others have to say about these guys, too, so don't mind if I tag along :popcorn:

Bam!

Response from the seller "The dad is an blue eyed English Angora and mom is a Bew Lionhead."

Woot! I might be getting a little better with my rabbit identification skills - maybe... a little... :roll: I still have a LOOOOONG way to go :lol:

Beautiful little fella, but not sure I am up for the maintenance? :?

Very cute.
I know a lot of people like the Vienna mark, but I'm not a huge fan.

I was going to guess a mix. With the Lionhead in there he won't be too big, for sure. But if I were going to get one just as a wooler, I would want all those generations of loveliness behind, and something more full bred, or at least an English / French mix.

yup, Lionhead mix and Vienna gene. I'd not let that rabbit anywhere near the herd here, but we aren't about how cute the rabbit is but about the fiber produced. If you're using the fiber to make yarn, when you get a mix of colors like that you get kinda a muddled color on your yarn unless you don't mind tweed yarn or harvest the wool from the different colors separately.

It will be a small rabbit, not sure how much wool it will produce or if the body wool will get to a usable length. If you want a rabbit for wool, try not to get a Lionhead mix or probably even a Jersey Woolie mix due to their small fiber production.

It would be a really cute pet bunny, though. And you'd probably get a little bit of fluff to play with, but not much. Don't Lionheads basically only have the really long fiber only on their head?

Back