2017 Goals: what are yours?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SarniaTricia":23me429t said:
PSFAngoras":23me429t said:
There are plenty more but it's mostly paying off loans/bills and remodeling the house and renovating the yard so the house will be ready to sell when said things are paid off in a year or two. We don't care about the size of the house, but hubby needs a shop and I need a barn!

LOL.... this is exactly were we are at!
I am estimating house hunting in 2020 for exactly this reason (hubby needs a shop and I need a barn)...... and the next 3 years we will be making the existing property more buyer friendly (aka ... renovations)

DH and I are right there with you guys. Although we're trying to start the house-hunting this year already.

Good Goals everybody except those who want fewer rabbits :lol: I just hope my does do as good for me as this year. I also got three good buddies into raising rabbits in the last year. So my goal is to get at least a few more in 2017 :) After that hope the kids new goats have some babies, go cat fishing more, and finish the biggest under taking of my life finish our new house I'm building. Wow can't believe 2016 is all but over!

WzJIQWE.png
honestly i just cannot wait for 2016 to be over and done with
hopefully, though, by next year...

- pass all my AP classes at least!
- m o r e . r a b b i t s .
- i might start collecting betta fish again!
- more hours on my part-time job​

i do not plan to change my eating habits........... i am content eating junk food and rabbits ;)

My goal in 2017, as related to the animals, is to cull down and reorganize the critters so I make a profit or at least don't lose money. I've been very casual about everything and as long as the animals were cared for, healthy and clean I didn't mind so much if I had a few extra rabbits or chickens around. I sell enough to make a dent in the feed bill but housing repairs and equipment purchases aren't covered. I love the animals and they keep me company and entertained but it's time to make finances a priority now and make some hard decisions.

I"m going to properly divide off the colony and control the breeding so the poor does don't get too worn out and build a separate buck housing. Chickens will be culled down to a reasonable number of younger hens and extra roosters will be put in the freezer promptly rather than letting them grow out so long. Egg sales are fairly steady so it's mostly a matter of getting costs down. I have a couple of steady rabbit customers who will buy as many as I can produce which would more than pay for the feed if I keep a tight rein on a breeding and processing schedule.

This was my second year with turkeys and was better than last year which was ok for a first year with anything. A few turkeys were grown out longer than expected mostly due to my work schedule which meant they were fed longer than they should have been but with a more productive use of my time next year that should be reduced. The turkeys have more than paid for themselves in both years and word has apparently spread about the quality of my birds so I have to make a difficult decision on whether to get additional birds next year. Last year I bought 12, this year I got 22 so I'll have to figure out if getting a higher number next year would be workable due to space considerations here on my little property.

I usually try a new project each year so I'll have to think about that during the winter. Could be increasing the size of the garden or getting a new critter on The Homestead. We shall see.

I guess my goals for the year are as following:

1. Get my Belgian Hares to bred and raise litters (easier said then done I am finding out)
2. Have an Angora litter (need to get a buck for my French Angora doe)
3. Build more cages (always needed)
4. Learn how to dispatch and process my culls
5. Get better at making yarn and be able to sell excess fiber

Our goals are to start showing, and to improve our heard by purchasing at least one show quality rabbit to replace a pet quality one. We stay pretty small with a trio of Holland Lops and trio of meat buns for 4-h. Right now we have 3 Holland females, and need to sell at least one to start improving our line. I would love some land, but that won't likely happen this year. Something I will keep working towards tho!

Back