RURAL KING MESSAGED ME!!!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ButtonsPalace

Reaction score
*As my inside are about to burst from joy* I got on my facebook on my laptop (Meaning I go to my rabbitry pages messages) I happened to notice I had one new. I read it and then screamed upon realizing the new Rural King being built about an hour or so away is asking ME!! If I will be their vendor!! Of course I gladly agreed! I'm so excited to get to sell my rabbits! The person (I'm assuming Female) told me I had the prettiest rabbits she'd seen on facebook, I am so excited! This is definitely going to open a new chapter for Happy Dale Rabbitry and so much more for me!

Congrats. I had to look up what Rural King was :lol: don't think we have them in Iowa tho we have similar stores. Brother used to sell some of his rabbits to one but I think it was just around Easter. Good luck!

I had heard about Rural King but never saw any around where I am and just never looked either. I think it's super cool to have been reached out too. I call them on Monday.

Sounds cool. I am a cashier at a RK store here. If it were me I would ask (and put some pressure!) on the people there about the upkeep of the rabbits in store and about sexing etc. The person in farm who did it at the store I work at... well i'll just say was quite lower than my standards and I would hate for something to come back on you for something an idiot in store or working in store did.

best of luck!

A friend of mine has a deal going with Big R, same as RK. When they want rabbits in the store SHE takes care of her stock. The help is shall we say somewhat challenged in the proper care of pretty much anything that breaths air. :x

She hauls them in, sets up their cages and stays there till they're gone or she's had enough. They are inside what she calls a "people pen" so you can't touch them. After all it's not a petting zoo. They run an ad the week before to let people know they will be there. She keeps the money for the rabbits and they make money off cages and the supplies for them.

Good luck! It will be a good bit of work. ;)

Preitler":uaqgwsz1 said:
Lol, I thought this is about something like this prince of Nigeria who wants to send me a million, or so :lol:

Sounds like a good opportunity :)

I had this happen to me in high school.. Long before I worked or even had a bank account haha.

The girl who messaged me said she'd be taking care of them. She seems really nice.

What is this about legal crap I need to know? Sounds boring, but important.

I also am in love with the Rabbittalk signature. Is it possible to make that our New logo? That's so adorable!

ButtonsPalace":3o8y1q0v said:
What is this about legal crap I need to know? Sounds boring, but important.

I think what Bigfoot was referring to was liability and such. For example, say someone buys a bunny, and then a week later they come back to Rural King complaining that it's sick. Who takes responsibility, you or the store?

I have to say the setup Homer mentioned (coming in on a certain day and selling the bunnies yourself) seems the best way to ensure the buyer gets at least some of the correct information about their care. That way you can also make sure the rabbits aren't neglected in any way in their time at the store.

Best of luck with the potential business offer!

make sure as well that you are mindful of USDA regulations...you are limited to selling less than ... I think it's $500 per year or you need to meet their cage standards and other stuff... Regulations in place. make sure you meet them.

I will look into the regulations and work towards making that happen. It's almost a 2 hr drive and I cant guarantee my ride will want to sit and wait... The girl who said she's on charge has photos of herself with what she says are her rabbits and they look to be in good health to me. I'd like to eventually set up out there and sell my own but it may not be an option immediately.

The "care guide" on ARBA was made with USDA regulations in mind as far as space goes. It is LESS than $500, so you can do $499 in sales but as soon as you HIT $500 you must already be USDA certified (and a business license will be needed as well, you're no longer exempt). In certain states a business license is required before you hit that limit.

I know because I used to sell to pet shops here frequently. I'd sell until I hit $400 or $450, then quit. Exchanges of goods do count towards that amount (I did that a lot, cause yeah I liked my fish and what not lol). You will also have to know the legal age to sell for that area, not just state restriction but county/zone regulations. There are a FEW places that are older than the state and even some areas that don't allow wire cages (this was a sale I went to BUT it is still possible). Don't take the lady's word for it, find out from an official yourself cause it isn't HER that will be in trouble it will be you.

Make sure you discuss health in depth. Some times no matter how perfect the care or what the new owner says they've done, rabbits get sick or die. It has nothing to do with the breeder, but you'll ultimately be held responsible. Plus if a lot of rabbits leave there, they are from you, and they aren't as hardy as the customer base needs....your going to fail. Ask about what kind of housing people use for rabbits that they get there, what kind of feed they sell the most of, etc. If it isn't in line with your current stock care, it may not work out too well.

Have a WRITTEN agreement is ideal, even if its nothing more than they will call you when they need rabbits and you are being paid x amount per rabbit at time of drop off with x in regards to health.

The pet shops I sold to had no problem with this. It was a simple statement with both signatures on it: X is selling us rabbits at x per rabbit at 8 to 12 weeks of age. X will replace if original rabbit is returned (dead or alive) in the event of a health issue. X will take back any rabbits that reach an non-sellable age/size and exchange for younger rabbits. We will call when we need more rabbits, but understand numbers/breeds available will vary and X does not guarantee availability. We do not guarantee we will buy exclusively from X nor that we will need a specific number of rabbits every month.

TSC did not do that. It was I can in with 8 to 10 rabbits, they purchased for 10 to 15 each on site as seen. No guarantees, no calls, no nothing.

All places used wire set ups and were OK, they provided decent feed and water bottles. They weren't "ideal" but better than sending to auction house and at the time I couldn't stand to process yet.

Well I call tomorrow so I'll definitely make sure I have a full list of questions and make sure I know about the laws for my state and both counties.

Zass":ot381d1q said:
Funnies, your rabbit talk logo is the cutest thing... o_O
AWW THANK U!! i thought it'd be nice to draw a signature just for this site <33
ButtonsPalace":ot381d1q said:
Well I call tomorrow so I'll definitely make sure I have a full list of questions and make sure I know about the laws for my state and both counties.
oh yeah the laws.... that's always a thing :eek: regulations and standards mostly though if i remember correctly? california restricts so many things :roll:

Back