Kindling and Raising- My rabbits

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This is Snow White, she is due Jan 3rd

This is Nutmeg, she is due Jan. 13th

-- Wed Dec 21, 2016 2:32 pm --

SarniaTricia":2o2y2xgw said:
WELCOME Therry!

Thank you! <br /><br /> -- Wed Dec 21, 2016 2:34 pm -- <br /><br /> This is Holly, she is due Jan. 20th

I like the bun pic too. I like the eyes on the second pic you posted. I dont much about this breed so I must ask. What is the breed?

bigfoot_158":3g1wa3qz said:
I like the bun pic too. I like the eyes on the second pic you posted. I dont much about this breed so I must ask. What is the breed?

Thank you! The first is Mini Rex and the other 2 are Holland Lops

-- Sun Dec 25, 2016 7:22 pm --

Olivia was re bred as she didn't take. She did this time

<br /><br /> -- Tue Dec 27, 2016 8:04 pm -- <br /><br /> Snow White has delivered. Day 23, 5 babies, 2 dead, 3 Alive

AAAHHH that sucks when they are born dead. It kills me every time even if not my rabbit.

Stephanie":208cv03h said:
Therry's Bunnies":208cv03h said:
Snow White has delivered. Day 23, 5 babies, 2 dead, 3 Alive
23 days?? I've never heard of one that short. Is it possible you have missed a week?

No, I even re checked, but I was off by a day, was day 24 not 23 <br /><br /> -- Wed Dec 28, 2016 10:45 am -- <br /><br />
bigfoot_158":208cv03h said:
AAAHHH that sucks when they are born dead. It kills me every time even if not my rabbit.

Thank you, one was born dead, the other was alive, but momma didn't clean the sac off its head. So was dead when I found it.

I have a friend that breeds rex...she has had a couple of 23-24 day litters this year?!...

The one has really caught up. Mama likes to rest in the nest box. Fatest baby bunnies I have ever seen....
The other litter didn't make it.

SarniaTricia":f8gqewnr said:
I have a friend that breeds rex...she has had a couple of 23-24 day litters this year?!...

The one has really caught up. Mama likes to rest in the nest box. Fatest baby bunnies I have ever seen....

Aww that's sad, so sorry! Yeah, these are plump, pink, warm, n squirmy. She seems to be doing a good job. She did not pull fur though.

Therry's Bunnies":3gsojp24 said:
SarniaTricia":3gsojp24 said:

Aww that's sad, so sorry! Yeah, these are plump, pink, warm, n squirmy. She seems to be doing a good job. She did not pull fur though.

Someone suggested cotton balls to me... I have some on hand now in the event that a doe doesn't pull enough fur. (I think I will shred the cotton balls before putting them in the nest)

SarniaTricia":3hojkscv said:
Therry's Bunnies":3hojkscv said:
SarniaTricia":3hojkscv said:

Someone suggested cotton balls to me... I have some on hand now in the event that a doe doesn't pull enough fur. (I think I will shred the cotton balls before putting them in the nest)

Yeah we used a cotton like nesting material for small animals :) <br /><br /> -- Fri Dec 30, 2016 6:08 pm -- <br /><br /> Kits have died, so we tried again. She's a little bit of a cranky doe. She apparently did not feed them last night which made them colder causing them to freeze to death. Fingers crossed for this next time

Why not let them give birth indoors? I let some do that both for them and for my comfort. Much easier to check and play with the kids without putting on warm clothes to go outside.

a7736100":ebgexhd9 said:
Why not let them give birth indoors? I let some do that both for them and for my comfort. Much easier to check and play with the kids without putting on warm clothes to go outside.

Because regardless if we did or not, she didn't feed them, so never would have made it anyway..

Sorry that you lost the kits.....
I had a doe that wasn't very good at mothering....
She needed to be set on the nest box daily for the first week for her to "get the hang of it".

I would sit on a chair and put the nest box in my lap, then sit mama on the nest and hold her there and gently pet her for 10 or more minutes. I check the kits after for full tummies, if they aren't full she gets set back on the nest for another 10 minutes.

That being said, she lost as many litters as she raised.

She is now a lovely pelt and stew.
I'm hoping her daughter has better instincts or that line is DONE.

Latest posts

Back