French Angoras and Survival / Prepping

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fun!

What I appreciated most was the synopsis of the various woolies and which one takes the least amount of care... I am sure it's on here somewhere, but that was worded short, sweet and to the point enough that even I could remember which breed to be on the lookout for!

Shhhh - that's why I have my EAs :lol: bred to be a dual purpose meat and fiber rabbit that is small enough to be housed in small backyards, yet grow an usable amount of fiber, and still large enough to be useful as a meat source.

Besides, I think they have the cutest personalities of all!!! LOL

OK I read the blog and I have an issue with some of what she said about EAs :p Mine only take about 15 minutes per week for coat maintenance and that is only in the last few weeks before molting. Of course, this is only blowing the coat out, not brushing which thins the coat.

As for temperatures, well hers are inside a barn evidently, which does not have good air flow if hers are needing ice bottles and fans and suffering in temps over 90F. I live where we get week after week of 100F+ temps and find that mine do just fine, especially since I started housing them in a ground pen during the summer. They can dig down to cooler dirt, move around and have plenty of shade and air circulation.

My hutches where the bucks sometimes stay in cages all summer are located beneath a mature elm tree, so by wetting the soil in that area in the cool morning keeps the cool air circulating most of the day.

Ah well, each to their own :lol:

Yup, the post was okay, but totally not correct on the assessment of the different breeds of angora. Here's an excerpt with some added commentary:

"English angoras weigh 5-7 pounds. (true) They have fiber everywhere, including their ears and faces (true), and they look rather ridiculous (subjective). Because they lack guard hair (false), they mat easily and require up to 30 minutes of grooming per day (again, false). As such, this breed is not practical and should be avoided at all costs.

Satin angoras are a little bit larger than English and look more like a normal rabbit. However, they also lack guard hair and mat easily (false). These should also be avoided.

Giant angoras weigh ten to fifteen pounds. They come in white only. Again, they also lack guard hair and mat easily. (false)

German angoras are rare in this country, because they are not recognized by the American Rabbit Breeders Association and thus cannot be shown. As showing is one reason people raise rabbits, if you can’t show a rabbit, you lose out on a lot of sales. However, if I were only raising for fiber and meat and I could find a breeder, German angoras might be the way to go. They weigh up to twelve pounds and can produce up to an amazing 4-5 pounds of fiber per year.

English, Satin, Giant, and German angora varieties are all sheared. (false) English are one of the pluckable breeds, although some show lines can't be plucked, so it varies.

But, other than that it was a pretty good article.

Latest posts

Back