Fur mites

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

REDMIST

Reaction score
I have a buck that seems to show since of fur mites. He has a small scab about inch below his ears on his back. It looked like flaky skin. I have injectable ivermectin but would like to use topical. Has anyone used this effectively?

For a mild infestation, dusting with DE (diatomaceous earth) can be effective. If you cannot find DE, you can also use mite dusting powder for chickens.

You will also need to do a thorough cleaning of the cage, j-feeder, water dish, and area adjacent to the cage, especially any wooden surfaces the rabbit has come in contact with ... fur mites can be introduced in hay as wild rabbits carry them and live in the hay pastures :x

Also, you will want to do a preventative dose on any rabbits "down stream" of the infected one, or any other rabbits handled after handling the infected one.

As the dust is not harmful, a preventative dusting of a doe just before kindling will not harm the kits.

If you cant find the white DE. You can by the De with clay in it from tsc. It works just as good. :)

AnnClaire":2hvxm4xc said:
For a mild infestation, dusting with DE (diatomaceous earth) can be effective. If you cannot find DE, you can also use mite dusting powder for chickens.

You will also need to do a thorough cleaning of the cage, j-feeder, water dish, and area adjacent to the cage, especially any wooden surfaces the rabbit has come in contact with ... fur mites can be introduced in hay as wild rabbits carry them and live in the hay pastures :x

Also, you will want to do a preventative dose on any rabbits "down stream" of the infected one, or any other rabbits handled after handling the infected one.

As the dust is not harmful, a preventative dusting of a doe just before kindling will not harm the kits.

I dust mine with DE once a month .... infected or not. The stuff is cheap , no reason not to use it as a preventative as well as a cure.

You wont find it at the big box stores like Home Depot or Lowes , I get it at the same feed store I get my feed from ..... Some privately owned hardware stores will have it too. I pay $14 for a #25 bag and.

REDMIST":14nw7be6 said:
I have a buck that seems to show since of fur mites. He has a small scab about inch below his ears on his back. It looked like flaky skin. I have injectable ivermectin but would like to use topical. Has anyone used this effectively?

You do not have to inject the ivermectin to use it for mites. If fact it's easier on the rabbit's digestive system if you don't. I've used it a couple times, specially this time of year, and give it orally. Use .08cc per pound of rabbit and squirt it in their mouth with the syringe, repeat in 10 days.

What type of ivermectin do you recommend? Just anything I can find orally at Tractor Supply or on Amazon? Anything special to look for? I saw a bunch of dandruff flake off my Buck after trying to brush him, and its been about a month and the entire time he looks like he has a blown coat. I am wondering if the appearance of his coat is related to the dandruff? There are no bald spots, but I know it shouldn't look like that. We are very humid so there is really no way they can have dry skin without some other kind of problem IMHO. Is Ivermectin safe for nursing moms if I decide to treat the whole heard? Thanks!

Use the "injectable" for cattle and swine on him. I don't have it in the house but think it's 1%. T.S., Big R or Amazon all have it...and yes, it appears to be safe for nursing Does. That's usually when I have had to use it with no issues. I imagine she'll pass it on but no problems here. ;) You will need a syringe and needle to get it out of the bottle then take the needle off and squirt it in their mouth. I use 1cc insulin syringes for this.

Keep it in the box, light makes it deteriorate.

410GOJyV4HL.jpg

Thank you Homer! So they just swollow it? Does the dandruff and symptioms with the fur looking blown indicate mites to you? I guess what I am asking is if you had this situation come up in your rabbitry would you assume mites and treat accordingly? And the only one displaying these symptoms is a Buck I bought about a month ago. Should I treat the whole heard or just him? He supposed to be going to a show in about 10 days, will he be contageous then? This is my first time with this, and I am just hoping to get it gone soon! I know he wont show well with his coat looking blown, but I am hoping to at least get feedback on his confimation.

macksmom98":1y5ps3db said:
Thank you Homer! So they just swallow it? yes Does the dandruff and symptoms with the fur looking blown indicate mites to you? yes I guess what I am asking is if you had this situation come up in your rabbitry would you assume mites and treat accordingly? yes. I'd check his poop for worms to. Ivo won't treat most of those. And the only one displaying these symptoms is a Buck I bought about a month ago. Should I treat the whole heard or just him? just him for now He supposed to be going to a show in about 10 days, will he be contagious then? no This is my first time with this, and I am just hoping to get it gone soon! I know he wont show well with his coat looking blown, but I am hoping to at least get feedback on his confirmation.

At .08cc per # of rabbit it's not much. I've never had an issue getting them to swallow it. I set them on the table, take hold of the base of their ears and tip their head back. (go in threw the side of his mouth) Squirt, gulp and done. repeat in 10 days. The dander will be gone in 10 days but doubt he'll look good enough to show but you already know that.

Latest posts

Back