Guinea pig baby color?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Prisma

Reaction score
So "black" had this surprise baby. Looks dove gray, almost light lilac in person. She has had rew, himi, red, cream, red eyed orange, gold tipped black, and a chocolate.

What is this one? I've never seen one remotely close. Red eyes, no tipping no apparent agouti markings either. I first thought lutino gene...but is that even possible with pigs? Picture doesn't give exactly how she looks in person...she's lighter.

Attachments

• 2016-12-24_15.02.06.jpg
    2016-12-24_15.02.06.jpg
    766.6 KB · Views: 1,825
Lutino in rabbits and the pink eyed gene in rodents (mice, rats, gerbils, Guinea pigs etc..) is on the same locus

The pink eyed gene turns blacks a smokey grey called "lilac" and unlike rabbits it has nothing to do with chocolate or dilute ;)

Yep, you've got the pink eye gene. Personally I avoid it. It will make the lilacs and beiges depending on base color.

Yay! I'm actually excited. Are there any bigger health issues with pink eyed gene or is it like all other colors? Or is a personal preference?

The one I got them from new nothing, was very surprised. I've never seen one here, even since I was a lil kid eyeing them in the pet shop lol. Looks to be a lil girl...I'd love to get more of them. Is it a recessive gene? I'll look more up otherwise of course.

It's simple recessive. It turns black into lilac, chocolate into beige, and red into red-eyed-orange (and gives creams red eyes instead of dark eyes). If she had red eyed orange before, she has to carry the gene

They don't have any health problems that I know of. I love the red-eyed-dilutions, but many people don't want them as pets (I had himi americans, so I had to avoid it anyway - lilac Himalayans aren't accepted)

Aside from not being all that desirable outside of show circles there is nothing wrong with pew. Guinea pigs are hardy and the only color that gives you trouble is roan and even then you don't get weak guinea pigs. If you cross roan x roan you get healthy roans or oddities that die quickly without an extreme amount of extra care (lethal whites).

Latest posts

Back