Register

Thought on neutering

A place to discuss the particular challenges and ethical issues facing the breeder of pet rabbits today.
5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 55.00

Thought on neutering

Post Number:#1  Unread postby cybercat » Thu Dec 22, 2016 9:40 am

What is everyone cost of fixing, neutering a rabbit? Wondering if this might be a good idea for those that are to be sold to pet market.

Site Supporter
2 years of membership2 years of membership
Canada Female
BunnyBucks: 2,290.00

Re: Thought on neutering

Post Number:#2  Unread postby HOWsMom » Thu Dec 22, 2016 9:43 am

Following
George (black Dutch), Chaos (Broken Chocolate Mini Rex buck) & Mischief (Broken Chocolate Mini Rex doe)
Fionn (REW Mini Rex buck) & Ballach (Brk. Black Mini Rex doe) - not shown

Also home to 1 dog, 1 cat, 1 guinea pig, several degus and fish, some kids and a husband

1 year of membership
United States of America
BunnyBucks: 2,485.00

Post Number:#3  Unread postby shazza » Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:02 am

i only have one neutered rabbit - my housepet, because he sprayed. it cost $113 to neuter him, which is incredibly cheap from what i understand. he did very well and had no complications - but the vet that did it was a specialty exotics vet so i wasn't really worried too much.

even though $113 was very cheap for a neuter, i would never be able to sell a rabbit for that cost, much less a price that gave me a little profit.
mini lop, standard rex, meat mutts
tumblr: @babbits | facebook: @frithyeer.rabbits | ig: @frithyeerfarm

The following user would like to thank shazza for this post
cybercat, michaels4gardens

5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership

Post Number:#4  Unread postby cybercat » Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:20 am

Yes, vets are so as when it comes to that process. I know for a fact since I work in one that the animal shelters are half that price for dogs. It is all they do most of the day. We will have been ask ours if they can do rabbit and what it would cost.

1 year of membership
United States of America
BunnyBucks: 2,451.00

Post Number:#5  Unread postby Nymphadora » Thu Dec 22, 2016 1:53 pm

I understand that from a pet perspective it might be easier to keep a neutered rabbit. But from the seller/breeder's perspective, would it be feasible? Say you get the vet to give you a discount because you'll be bringing in lots of bunnies to get fixed... Even if it were to only cost $70, if you add that to the original cost of the rabbit, would you even be able to sell that bunny? I'm just wondering what your profit margin would look like from a business perspective (it seems like with the vet bill added into the feed and upkeep of the rabbits until selling age, you'd be losing money if you sell them for anything less than $120+).

I hate math, but I've gotten pretty diligent about tracking my expenses when it comes to hobbies. Although my fabric stash still keeps mysteriously growing... :roll:

Post Number:#6  Unread postby cybercat » Thu Dec 22, 2016 2:10 pm

I think cost is related to location too. Where I live is cost 20 to 30 for a spay neuter at the clinic. Vet runs about 100 here. But you are right and I would only do it if I could recoup cost. Since I am into the fiber rabbits it is one reason I was thinking on it.

1 year of membership
United States of America
BunnyBucks: 2,451.00

Post Number:#7  Unread postby Nymphadora » Thu Dec 22, 2016 5:06 pm

cybercat wrote:I think cost is related to location too. Where I live is cost 20 to 30 for a spay neuter at the clinic. Vet runs about 100 here. But you are right and I would only do it if I could recoup cost. Since I am into the fiber rabbits it is one reason I was thinking on it.

Ahh, see that makes much more sense to me, then. I've also noticed that fiber rabbits tend to be a little pricier than other breeds. At least where I'm at. :oops:

Also, if I may ask, what's the difference between the clinic and the vet? I was under the impression that rabbits tend to be slightly more difficult to neuter than cats or dogs, hence people take them to a specialized vet...

Site Supporter
4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
United States of America Male
BunnyBucks: 7,980.00

Post Number:#8  Unread postby michaels4gardens » Sat Dec 24, 2016 1:11 pm

male rabbits are easy to neuter , but keeping the wound from becoming infected is more difficult than cats or dogs.
Seed Garlic, http://www.Mountainvalleygarlic.com , https://www.facebook.com/Mountain-Valle ... 254347988/,
hard neck garlic varieties for fall planting.
meat-mutt rabbits, a few laying hens, and too many ducks..
https://vimeo.com/176370337?ref

The following user would like to thank michaels4gardens for this post
Nymphadora

7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 34,985.00

Post Number:#9  Unread postby akane » Sat Dec 24, 2016 1:33 pm

If the vet knows the extra step to close the inguinal ring since it doesn't on rabbits like it does on cats and dogs when they get older. Which is why usually it's preferred to use an exotics trained vet and they are expensive. Never had an infection problem and we never even did antibiotics afterward. A little pain killer until they were eating normal and that's it.
http://s1321.beta.photobucket.com/user/takakageri/library/
In order to save myself I must destroy first the me I was told to be -The Dreamer

3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Canada
BunnyBucks: 515.00

Post Number:#10  Unread postby Olimpia » Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:38 pm

I can't see it working in a "normal" market. Though if you advertise a price of $200 (ie $150 neuter + $50 cost) you might have some people interested.
Most of the people I have talked to about my pet rabbits are fine with this. I'm fine dropping the asking price of my pets to "cover" some of the surgery cost. I found a place that I think is $180, I'll probably charge $250 for a neutered BHare, which isn't that much... City folk understand the benefits of altering them so they are more likely to agree... now barnyard pet rabbits you won't be able to sell fixed. :p
But I'm selling Belgian hares, and people are coming to me from all over. I'm not advertising my rabbits for sale anywhere... I think I might have a different experience than most...
But Belgian hares don't make good pets if they aren't fixed. The males spray and hump everything and spend most of the day masturbating by the time they are 8 months... the females as well are more hormonal than normal breeds... so I am not even releasing any pets without surgery before they leave..

Site Supporter
4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
United States of America Male
BunnyBucks: 7,980.00

Post Number:#11  Unread postby michaels4gardens » Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:53 am

if you should decide to "neuter", - make sure you have a very good rabbit vet-- I worked at a shelter [very well known and very well equipped shelter, with above average vets ] we still had a problem with mortality, and "complications" treating rabbits who had been "fixed". If you are in business, expenses could mount quickly when you have a "complication" .
Seed Garlic, http://www.Mountainvalleygarlic.com , https://www.facebook.com/Mountain-Valle ... 254347988/,
hard neck garlic varieties for fall planting.
meat-mutt rabbits, a few laying hens, and too many ducks..
https://vimeo.com/176370337?ref