To all Rabbits breeders Show and Meat

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigfoot_158

Reaction score
Do you use a medicated feed in the winter time?

I met someone who does and I am wondering if I should.

I don't use medicated feed at all.

The harlequins seem to have iron stomachs, and can survive on just about anything.

My buns never seem to get sick in winter. Spring is the only time I seem to have illness, as it can warm up enough in the rabbitry to create high levels of ammonia during the day, but be freezing at night. I won't want to remove all my tarps and plastic sheeting to vent the structure because of the cold. Medicated feed wouldn't help with that.. I just cull any sneezers, use a fan during the day, and get strict with sanitation for a while.

Medicated feed is not something I would give to my herd because I want to breed rabbits with strong immune systems. I feel like using meds for anything short of mastitis, injury, or parasites would just be a crutch for the rabbits with weaker immune systems. If they can't get by without it, I shouldn't be keeping those genetics around.

I don't feed medicated feed either, haven't for years. I rarely get sick buns :) I cull anyone who gets sick.

Agree with SPFAngoras about the crutch for weak immune systems.

Yea I agree with ya all. I have not used it with my calis but I am only starting my second year now.

This came about when I told someone on facebook that I would like to buy some of their NZ.
After talking with them for 2.5 hours I decided to pass on their rabbits. I petted a couple of them and they felt way boney. And they had a small amount of poo stick to their fur. That when I asked why that was. Then they told me that everyone that shows their rabbits use it in the winter time. :evil:

I didn't know there was a medicated feed available....lol :lol:

Anyway, I agree that medicated could hide a lot of health issues and maybe a disease!
Wash us really good before visiting your own bunnies.... (don't forget to clean your footwear!)

No medicated feed here. Mr. Reynolds formula calls for terramycin crumbles or varient of such...but believe that was to help prevent gi issues due to non pellet diet.

Its listed in the ARBA given book you get upon joining. I don't see a problem UNLESS it is being done to hide illness or poorly bred animals.

SarniaTricia":24lafisf said:
I didn't know there was a medicated feed available....lol :lol:

Anyway, I agree that medicated could hide a lot of health issues and maybe a disease!
Wash us really good before visiting your own bunnies.... (don't forget to clean your footwear!)

I didnt either. But I do know they have medicated chicken feed for the small chicks. They also told me that tsc was not going to carry any more injectable meds like ivermectin. tsc knew nothing about it when I question them shortly after leaving these people's house.

At the 1st of year will not be able to. Sulfs pens terramycins and whole bunch if others due to supposed volunteer removal from supply to keep out of food animals.

You will need a script if need. So the 10 cure for vd just went to 300 or so for trip to vet if you have to go to one. I will not be doing that, terminal cull will be used. I've asked WV Ag and sec told me this also includes antibiotic creams. Wormers they couldn't say either way, could be an issue but wouldn't know until after enforce started. This was in the works over 5 yrs ago, I tried to get locals to question it but no one thought it would happen. Now there's no stopping it. The official release was last year to start Jan 1st 2017, stores caught without script selling can be fined and in some closed or barred from having meds at all, vets if caught giving scripts for no reason fined and barred, people fined. I was told jail time may even be considered in offenses. Its crazy.

Most of the time, "medicated " just means a coccidiostat, - but a careful check of labels is important-- in my opinion, coccidiostats added to a commercial feed ration didn't do much to control coccidiosis. -- and--[ JMHO ... routinely feeding antibiotics is irresponsible and represents poor management . JMHO...]

I started as many have, raising a meat source that is not full of what ever med. At the same time if you got a sick breeder that you value a lot and there a med that would save the animal. I understand the need. Even if you just worming your animals which should be done. I would rather go with a organic option if I can. Example oil for ear mites... :)

Latest posts

Back