Trying to decide the color

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SetskiesD

Reaction score
Hello, I just recently bought a ND and I can't figure out what color he is. Every time I try to post a photo it says it's too big. Is there any other way to show you guys a photo?

I'd call it squirrel. it looks like it might actually be a blue seal agouti (since it has a lighter, pearl-ish patch on its cheek and red tinged eyes), but squirrel is a more universally accepted color (blue seal agouti isn't recognized in any breed, so there isn't an official name or description for it. You also hear it called blue seal chinchilla and similar). It might actually be a sable agouti (in which case it couldn't be passed off as a squirrel), but it is hard to tell from those picture. If possible, could you get some in natural light? Outdoors, in the shade or dim sunlight

His dad was a gray with some faint brown on his body, very little but you could tell it was there. In the litter there were 4 kits. 3 were the same color as mine, and 1 had the lower half of its body be a light brown and the upper half white with a brown head that had a white line down its nose with light eyes. They wouldn't sell me that one though lol.

I think he is too dark to be a squirrel (blue chinchilla) and is just a lighter version of chinchilla

I also don't think he is smutty enough to be a sable agouti but since sable is much more common in ND than chinchilla I would not rule it out

I think the picture quality is good. It looks like it was taken with natural light through the car sunroof. The whites look white and the hay looks hay-coloured. The blue tray doesn't seem to be distorting the colours much either.

I'm undecided between squirrel and sable chin. IMO the ear-tips are not black enough for plain chin but very dark for a blue. The eyes look kind-of dilute, but again I'm not sure. I don't see a brown tint to the fur that could indicate sable.

The description of parents and littermates isn't conclusive either, but maybe hints towards sable.

You may not be able to get a photo, but I suggest looking at the top of tail and the matching area on the rump. This is another area that should be fairly solid black (like the ear tips) and should help distinguish black from blue.

The eye color would be a good indicator. They look a bit warm in shade for a blue. but, I don't think they look like ordinary full color eyes either.
I'm thinking dilute.

This might be a dumb idea but perhaps there is some silvering going on here? Zooming in on the 2nd pic in particular I see white hairs on a black background, but no clearly black-tipped hairs. Does parting the hair show the ring pattern?

Against this idea is that the breeder would know and that the sire was not silvered.

Breed for the pet market was my plan, I have a few others. Thank you guys so much <br /><br /> __________ Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:12 am __________ <br /><br /> Okay so I took some update photos. The top 2 photos are him when I first got him and the bottom two are of today. About a months time

https://imgur.com/gallery/hXJMk

Back