Am I Breeding My Doe too Often?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OldEnglishSilvers88

Reaction score
My Mini Lop doe 'Lopster'. Yes, Lop-Ster not lobster, because she is a lop so I wanted to be funny and name her Lopster. Yes, I know it's dumb lol.

Lopster was born October 2015 and I've had her since May 2016. She was mated for the first time that May and kindled July 1, 2016 to 5 kits. Unfortunately one died shortly after birth due to a unknown cause and another died the next day from ants some how getting in her nest box :( . The other 3 lived and I kept one of the bucks back. She was later mated again that July but later in that month. She kindled August 29, 2016 to 7 kits but unfortunately 2 were stillborn. The other 5 lived but a buyer's dog killed one. In October she was mated again and kindled November 25, 2016 to 3 kits. I am keeping one of the does back and the other doe has a home in January when she's old enough. Unfortunately, a possum/stray cat/ raccoon killed the only buck.

My question is, am I breeding her too often? I am considering breeding her again after Christmas (my relative recently bought a proven Mini Lop buck and we're considering sharing the litter), but I'm starting to worry about her health? I don't want her to fall apart. I'm a new breeder (only been breeding since July of this year). Thanks! :bunnyhop:

It depends on the rabbit. Some rabbits can handle being bred that often, other can't. If you are breeding this often you should wean the babies early (around 6 weeks) to give the doe some time to rest. (six weeks with babies, two weeks rest, repeat)

If it seems like she is having a harder time with each litter, or is losing condition (and not gaining it back quickly), then you should give her some rest until she's back in top condition.

If it was me I would wait until January. I plan on breeding mine every 2 months and from what I have read this is mostly an opinionated guess. Just make sure your doe is healthy enough to carry and feed a litter for 12 wks.

breed by the condition of the doe not by the calendar. Some does can breed every month, some every other month, some on a six week schedule. Some can breed solid every month and then need three months off. If she feels good and looks good, breed her.

I agree with Sable & Ladysown

I have a doe that I have to assess her condition carefully, BEFORE I even think about breeding her again... (as she is my only proven Harlequin doe right now, I have to put up with this)

My meat does don't get as careful a check up as they have been bread and selected for producing litters every 6 weeks. (I don't breed that hard, because I don't have the grow-out space....lol)

.... check all your rabbits at least weekly.
I like to check breeding does quickly daily or every other day... especially the does on litters!
pet from ears to tail... you want to feel for:
a healthy feeling coat - no snags, rough or patchy areas
a full loin - you shouldn't feel sharp hip bones or ribs
Look at them ... are their eyes clear, are they curious
Have they been eating well. (this is were portion control comes in handy)
are they pooping.

If ANY Of these things are off.... top dress with a controlled portion of Black oil sunflower seed (BOSS), Calf Mana, Cheeks, oats, grains or any combination of the above. (I like Boss, mana and cheeks combo) I also like to keep an electrolyte on had as well.. gives them a little extra fast energy.

By the way:
I think Lopsters' name is adorable! don't apologize for being whitty, there are not enough whitty people on this planet in my opinion...

Back