Register

Red FA?

A place to ask about rabbit colours and to discuss rabbit genetics -- and how to breed for the desired results.
Site Supporter
3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 7,156.00

Re: Red FA?

Post Number:#16  Unread postby PSFAngoras » Thu Dec 22, 2016 8:26 am

Thanks guys, I'll definitely post pics of her first skein of yarn for you six gun. It will be interesting to see what colors I get with my herd this time around. My old buck is a blue based fawn carrying chocolate and chin and my black doe likely carries sable, the new buck is supposed to have sable and seal and the little doe comes from a whole line of reds. It's going to be fun to see who carries exactly what and all the crazy recessives that pop up. Good timing too, I can write down genotypes for all in my herd but two rabbits. Time for new puzzles!
Postage Stamp Farm Rabbitry
*Quality French Angoras and Satin Angoras*

Site Supporter
United States of America Male
BunnyBucks: 8,645.00

Post Number:#17  Unread postby Homer » Thu Dec 22, 2016 8:41 am

So how long will it be to get usable wool off the little ones?
Previous owner of the elusive and much sought after "Get Away With It" card.

http://bdbunnyranch.weebly.com/

Site Supporter
BunnyBucks: 7,156.00

Post Number:#18  Unread postby PSFAngoras » Thu Dec 22, 2016 9:42 am

The baby coat is usually to fine to spin, so in the good lines the junior coat that sheds out around 6 months is really the first usable fiber in my opinion. The lines I was working with a couple years ago had super soft coats in the adults (they were bred to be closer to English, so less guard hair but with clean heads, feet, etc) so even the junior coat had to be scrapped of those. The only rabbit I have left from them is the buck in my avatar, so hopefully the new does can balance out his coat in the next gen.
Postage Stamp Farm Rabbitry
*Quality French Angoras and Satin Angoras*

Site Supporter
2 years of membership2 years of membership
United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 10,602.00

Post Number:#19  Unread postby FourRingCircus » Thu Dec 22, 2016 10:27 am

PSFAngoras wrote:Thanks guys, I'll definitely post pics of her first skein of yarn for you six gun. It will be interesting to see what colors I get with my herd this time around. My old buck is a blue based fawn carrying chocolate and chin and my black doe likely carries sable, the new buck is supposed to have sable and seal and the little doe comes from a whole line of reds. It's going to be fun to see who carries exactly what and all the crazy recessives that pop up. Good timing too, I can write down genotypes for all in my herd but two rabbits. Time for new puzzles!

Drooling! I would LOVE that colorful herd - how fun!
Formerly known as "heritage" :)

Homeschool mom of 4 little ones - 9, 8, 6, & 4!

Our Four Ring Farmstead journey - with not quite 20 chickens of various breeds and 6 rabbits - and maybe a "few" popples every now and then... plus some feeble attempts at gardening. Officially registered as Four Ring Rabbitry!

Pampered Chef anyone? It's for a good cause! https://www.pamperedchef.com/pws/rmcoley

Previous