Red FA?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PSFAngoras

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
I talked with a FRench Angora breeder today, and she's working in Red FA at the moment. She says they're a deep red, but every pic I try to find on the Internet (she has no webpage, so not her site) of a deep red Angora rabbit all turn out to be satin angoras that people have mislabeled or google just pulled up under angora. All of the pictures that are actually FA are more of a really orange fawn, but not what I would call a true red.

I'm going up there tomorrow to see her stock and maybe get some (red or otherwise, need more wool) but in the true air of impatience has anyone ever seen a truly red FA? And what is so different about the coat of a satin and the coat of a French that makes it so hard to get the depth of color? I understand Satin have less guard hair but I'm not sure how that correlates with the Rufus factor...

Thanks for putting up with my musings!

My friend was working on red lionheads - even with the reddest head possible, the wool is still rather dull

The satin fur is a bit transparent, so the color sort of adds up - that along with the way the satin fur reflects color always makes a deeper. Genetically, red satins are the same as fawn French. They have the same rufus factor.

Come on PSF it's 4:30 haven't you left yet? :pokeeye: Where are our pictures? What's taking so long?

Interesting find you may have made. Just needed to subscribe. ;)

PSFAngoras":1u369pox said:
:gettowork:
Not right now but soon...maybe. <br /><br /> __________ Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:20 pm __________ <br /><br /> Well?
showing-gallery-for-impatient-smiley-6px3PC-clipart.gif
Are you sporting any new redheads yet?

Just got them settled in. There's a red and a chestnut with a high Rufus factor. Both are six weeks though the buck is from a litter of two out of monster 13# stock so he's twice the size of the little red doe. They are pretty orange in comparison to a satin, but they are supposed to deepen in color as they age the breeder said. Either way I'm pretty happy. Both of them have rabbits that placed top of their class in nationals behind them, so I might even have to start showing again.

Gotta download an ap to upload pics, give me a minute...

__________ Tue Dec 20, 2016 4:21 pm __________

Ta Da! Picture spam <br /><br /> __________ Tue Dec 20, 2016 4:22 pm __________ <br /><br /> Finally, hubby isn't the only ginger in the house!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    170 KB · Views: 1,275
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    120.2 KB · Views: 1,275
Thanks guys!

@ heritage - yes, FA are easier to maintain. They lack the wool on their heads, ears and legs/feet (except the foot pad) and they have a lot more guard hair than the other breeds so they don't mat as easily. I usually don't have to groom mine more than once a week, and only more if they're molting. It's not that they would mat much if i didn't groom more than once, but if I don't pluck heavily on the weekly grooming day or groom more than once a week during molt I loose all the fiber in between. Not my precious yarn!!!

Of course that goes for adults though, babies are still terrible to groom. As soon as you put them back in the cage they look like you never touched them to begin with. Luckily that ends around 6 months usually.

Thanks guys, I'll definitely post pics of her first skein of yarn for you six gun. It will be interesting to see what colors I get with my herd this time around. My old buck is a blue based fawn carrying chocolate and chin and my black doe likely carries sable, the new buck is supposed to have sable and seal and the little doe comes from a whole line of reds. It's going to be fun to see who carries exactly what and all the crazy recessives that pop up. Good timing too, I can write down genotypes for all in my herd but two rabbits. Time for new puzzles!

The baby coat is usually to fine to spin, so in the good lines the junior coat that sheds out around 6 months is really the first usable fiber in my opinion. The lines I was working with a couple years ago had super soft coats in the adults (they were bred to be closer to English, so less guard hair but with clean heads, feet, etc) so even the junior coat had to be scrapped of those. The only rabbit I have left from them is the buck in my avatar, so hopefully the new does can balance out his coat in the next gen.

PSFAngoras":3vah46jj said:
Thanks guys, I'll definitely post pics of her first skein of yarn for you six gun. It will be interesting to see what colors I get with my herd this time around. My old buck is a blue based fawn carrying chocolate and chin and my black doe likely carries sable, the new buck is supposed to have sable and seal and the little doe comes from a whole line of reds. It's going to be fun to see who carries exactly what and all the crazy recessives that pop up. Good timing too, I can write down genotypes for all in my herd but two rabbits. Time for new puzzles!

Drooling! I would LOVE that colorful herd - how fun!

Back